Infamous MK4 12v VR6 Tune Questions??

Hi All!

I recently purchased a 2001 VW GTI VR6, 12v of course, with 120k miles and bone stock. Some punk kid owned it before me and obviously didn't know how to take care of a VR properly (whatever's in the cooling system is definitely not g12.. Lol). Anyway, other than the little things like replacing the crack pipe today and trying to find a damn vacuum leak, the gti is clean only 3 owners :D

My plan is to do performance upgrades in stages since it is my DD. Finished, I want to be at 400whp. And yes I know.. 12v VR6 + $$$$$$ = Maybe +100 HP...+ Turbo+=

Here's what I've been reading:

http://forums.mwerks.com/showthread.php?4761622-How-to-build-a-relatively-inexpensive-reliable-powerful-Vr6

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3862384#/topics/3862384?_k=7xn48y

Now the fun part! QUESTIONS GALORE...

Give me the BEST brands and companies to order from!

THE BASICS

What essential maintenance chores need to be done to have a good strong basis for tuning? (Serpentine Belt, Cam Position Sensor, Starter, Crack Pipe, Coolant Flush w/ G12, Thermostat Housing, Aux Water Pump, and a fucking way overdue oil change with [Mobil 1 5W-30 Synthetic] all done today! Timing Chain is next... )

STAGE 1 TUNE- *200hp*

What semi-inexpensive mods should I do first... Besides stickers ? (Thinking Borla exhaust, GIAC Chip, CAI, Suspension upgrade, slotted rotors, etc.)

STAGE 2 TUNE- *250hp+*

What are the next best mods to add 50hp+? (Weight Reduction Time! Stage 2 Clutch, Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shift Kit, 268 Cams, and eliminating loose change lol)

STAGE 3/ STAGE 4 TUNE *400whp Challenge*

Now the FUN begins! What set up do y'all recommend? Turbo or forced induction? Any other big ticket mods?

THE LOOKS

Interior: Best sound system with flat screen display, instrument cluster, seats, etc.

Exterior: HID Smoked Headlights, Smoked Taillights, Best looking body kit, wrapped roof/ side mirrors, and wheels etc.

THANKS FOR READING! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE Y'ALLS COMMENTS

Welcome to the OC.

I'll start from the top, if you're looking at 50-400+ don't bother with cams or a ecu map as it'll bring peanuts on a NA Vr and cost lots of money for very little gains. You're better off looking at a cat back exhaust or even a cat bypass instead. They sound fantastic with a stainless exhaust etc.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket go FI, your engine will run fine on standard cr (compression ratio) till around 10 psi so you could look at a supercharger kit stage 1 so 6psi? That'll bring your car to around 250-270bhp with a cat bypass etc. Going down the turbo route you're looking at more work and plenty of Dolla. Google is your friend man, it's all been done.

Ps you will need to look into supporting mods, I.e brakes, suspension.

I have a spare Stage 1 VF Engineering kit that I will be selling shortly if you're interested, It's a complete kit minus the Vortech V9 charger itself.

• 3 weeks later...

It needn't cost that much for a turbo set up really if you can do work yourself, I reckon I could do a turbo conversion on my own car for £2-2.5k using a good new turbo and clutch upgrade, in fact I'm thinking about developing something similar soon.

If you factor in what it costs people usually for something like an exhaust system and remap then the £600 someone would pay for that alone seems to put things into perspective. Main point is what you are able to do yourself really in negating costs!

If you want to get about mapping it yourself, get a cheap ebay MPPS V16 with it's in-built checksums, may need to read up on bootmode and any ME7.1.1. flashing problems you can get due to board/processors/tools - plenty of info online.

The late, great DDillinger from Nefmoto put this up for those wanting to tune those US 12V mk4's - get winols demo to look at things in a colour way compared with the free hex editors and Tunerpro to tune - both free. Lot's of work for you though!

OEM ME7.1 12V binary file - 

https://app.box.com/s/4rra6shuhlhhsgj5vx2vig8t5jxhs1cs

xdf for tunerpro to build your maps for tuning based on that file;

https://app.box.com/s/mph1s2q295p654wm1005pufb0rke0opi

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...