Carter's Matte Grey MK3 VR6

hi guys so im Carter from leeds, 

i have owned 4 mk3 vr6's.. the first being a black 3 door the second a red 3 door as you may have seen on youtube the third a dragon green 5 door and forth a rear grey 3 door highline, as well as many other cars but always kept going back for more with the VR's, i guess it was a car that was cheap and fun and you got a lot of bang for your buck, as the saying goes... the 3 main things that attracted me the most was 1. price 2. the noise and 3. shape... however being younger i bought them had fun in them and sold them for quick few pennies and that was that, now being a bit more older i started to appreciate the car for more than what it is, instead of treating it like a condom lol anywho when i decided to buy 5th one it was going to be a project that i could spend some time on it, put a lot of work in and make it great and hopefully keep it and pass it down...

so in august 2015 i messaged a fellow forum user on here and i purchased my 5th mk3 vr6 3 door 1997 in anthracite blue with ac and climatronic it had only 2 owners which was in his family me being the third... it came with a full service history as well as a folder full of paperwork... the car was mechanically perfect no issues with the engine or running gear, i had it parked it up for nearly 7 months and it started perfectly not even a little cough, did a few minor pre MOT work then took it for an MOT it passed first time at National Tyres... the body work needing some attention with regards to rust no dents r scratches just rust, the rear arches were rusting and the there was odds spots  all over with rust as well as 2 wings that needing replacing which i had in the bassment from my previous VR's, i sorted out all the rust with a grinder and some rust treatment that is used in military which eliminates rust if any is left which i can assure there isnt any with the hep of the grinder lol so now the car is rust free.... the interior was in a decentish state the driver cloth seat was ripped in places the headliner was sagging and the steering wheel was ripped so all got replaced, new colour concept recaro leathers with door cards a sparco teering wheel and replaced headliner... so they were the issues that was there already which got rectified...

now comes the fun parts buying the new parts and fitting them lol whatever parts i bought i always had the mind set of functionality first looks second..

MOD's LIST (so far lol)

coilovers - brand new - i went with fk ak street coilovers as they were cheap but functional and good quality for the price, the ride is good the lows are good nothing to complain about

exhaust - brand new - i went with a custom decat from front to middle box and bought a direnza exhaust because i had one fitted previously and it did the job well, again fucntonal and no problems

headlights - brand new-  morette tinted see through headlights with the air intake mod

steering wheel - brand new - sparco suede steering wheel because why not and i needed a new one and it looks awesome

shifter - second hand - purchased a short shifter of a fellow memeber who makes them on this forum

silicone water hoses - brand new - i decided to get silicone hoses because the lower water pipe reutrn from coolant tank likes to crack and leak so replaced them all and benifits included greater pressure holding and i went with red to match the spark plug leads

speakers - bradn new - pioneer speakers 2 tweers in the front dash and 2 two ways in the back 

leather seats/door cards - second hand - needed a new interior so got a pair of black leather colour concept recaros and rears with headrests and door cards

wheels - second hand - genuine 15" bbs alloys with genuine centre caps which i refurbished in gloss back

forgot to mention i will be getting the car resprayed in the original colour as not to have to miss match the engine bay colour etc and easier and cheaper, s for now i have wrapped the car in matte metallic anthracite grey...

so for now thanks for reading any comment welcome and i will add as i go along with any updates.

vr63.jpg

vr65.jpg

vr64.jpg

vr62.jpg

DSC01259.JPG

DSC01262.JPG

DSC01260.JPG

DSC01267.JPG

DSC01265.JPG

DSC01247.JPG

Edited by carterleeds

thanks for the comments guys

@Marneus thanks and i did it myself, ive wrapped a few cars for my mates but only mates as i dont have anywhere for the public as yet... im hoping to start a mobile wrapping company but for small jobs like roofs wing mirros diffusers grills etc and work my way up to garage and full cars. all the work you see was done by me apart from the window tints. 

but i only wrapped the VR as like you i sorted the rust out and want to save to respray it, so just had some spare vinyl laying around.

Looks good buddy, 

The building next to my work does vinyl wrapping, 

i've wrapped quite a few things over the years, started by getting tips off the guys who work next door.

3M accredited is what you want to look at doing, 3-4 day course if I remember right. 

And 3M vinyl is meant to be one of the best to buy an use. 

They do some brilliant work next door to me, they did a show car scirocco in matt grey. 

Some of the top place in my opinion are Raccoon graphics, Pop-in graphics, and Brandz vehicle wrapping. 

I almost had my black VR wrapped a few years ago not long after I 1st bought it. but decided not to. 

I like polishing my cars to much. But they do look cool in matt colour for temporary time. 

Edited by c00k
  • 1 month later...
On 9/13/2016 at 7:10 PM, c00k said:

Looks good buddy, 

The building next to my work does vinyl wrapping, 

i've wrapped quite a few things over the years, started by getting tips off the guys who work next door.

3M accredited is what you want to look at doing, 3-4 day course if I remember right. 

And 3M vinyl is meant to be one of the best to buy an use. 

They do some brilliant work next door to me, they did a show car scirocco in matt grey. 

Some of the top place in my opinion are Raccoon graphics, Pop-in graphics, and Brandz vehicle wrapping. 

I almost had my black VR wrapped a few years ago not long after I 1st bought it. but decided not to. 

I like polishing my cars to much. But they do look cool in matt colour for temporary time. 

thanks a lot mate

yeh i know about the courses but i think ill do tha once i have my own unit and start wrapping full cars but for now im going to start of quite small.

i do agree though shiny cars cannot be beaten lol i just did this for the time being

right guys just a quick update about the mobile wrapping service i wanted to start, has officially started. no website as of yet only word of mouth, but a website will be coming as well as an instagram.

few details about it:

the mobile service is within a 20 mile radius to leeds anything outside this will incur an extra charge

the only request from a customer is electric for my heat gun

prices start from £110 for gloss black roofs - the cost is determined on size and colour and effect of the wrap  i.e. matte black, carbon fibre, satin black, brushed aluminium

there is a referral fee of £15 upon completion of a job (the referral fee can be sent through paypal

window tinting and alloy wheel refurbishment also available 

Edited by carterleeds
Removal of number
  • 5 weeks later...

Right guys quick update:

nothing has changed from last time lol

The car is sorn and is in the garage to hibernate.

It doesn't make sense driving the car in this weather, the underbody is immaculate I have brand new coilovers exhaust bushings etc done so the last thing I want is water or salt touching the body. I never drive it when it's wet with the idea of preserving it. 

I think the plans for next year are take it back to stock and somewhat restore it.

So a list of things wanting to do will be:

1. Remove wrap and get the panels repainted and refreshed which ever one needs it

2. Headlight needs swapping back for originals and I want to paint the inside black 

3. Black badges needs going back to silver 

4. Alloys refurbished in silver but may put on the other vr6 alloys 

5. Remove tints 

6. Put back in the original air box and remove cold air intake 

so yeh quite a bit of work to do as well as sourcing parts, headlights and front grill with clean silver badge and fog lights. 

So will update as and when I do anything. 

Edited by carterleeds