Dragon Green MK3 Recommission Project

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the rain had stopped. It was still a mild evening. Things started to dry out..... Best crack on with the clutch and gearbox refit then! All went well, no dramas. Found it easier to remove the

So, Now that i'm back into VR6 power I thought i start a little build/project running report. Story so far goes like this: Not long sold my 91 8V 5 door Golf MK2 GTI. Was also in a bit of a non runn

New plug leads fitted, New plugs fitted, New coilpack on order! Slow day today for progress.... Ordered the following bits though.... Valeo clutch kit. Discs and pads front Discs and pads rear O

Posted Images

Really good to see this being rescued! This car was built pretty much alongside mine at PF Auto's. In fact the stereo stuff that was the boot build is my old stuff from my VR!

Think its a bit unfair about the comments on the bodyshop as they did mine at the same time and it still picked up a trophy in it this year at EE. All that's been done in all those years is the front changed to Vento at Greg Howell's (Southam Bodys), rest of it is as it left PF Auto's, not bad considering I paid less than £1800 (sure Pete paid even less for the green one!) for all the bodywork and bumper mods and a full paint (excluding roof) colour coded 6 wheels too! My inner arches are a work of art if i'm honest, they spent days getting them to sit right on my wheels with no scrubbing.

Hopefully its salvageable, unfortunately it looks to me like its been sat and neglected unfortunately. I've got some great pics of the pair of them when we did E38 years ago on the PVW stand somewhere, will try and dig them out (not sure if they are digital even, lol)

Ironically one of my good mates now has a 3 door Dragon green one, so get pics with another one now! (Rysa from VRT on here)

Simon.

15 hours ago, six appeal said:

Really good to see this being rescued! This car was built pretty much alongside mine at PF Auto's. In fact the stereo stuff that was the boot build is my old stuff from my VR!

Think its a bit unfair about the comments on the bodyshop as they did mine at the same time and it still picked up a trophy in it this year at EE. All that's been done in all those years is the front changed to Vento at Greg Howell's (Southam Bodys), rest of it is as it left PF Auto's, not bad considering I paid less than £1800 (sure Pete paid even less for the green one!) for all the bodywork and bumper mods and a full paint (excluding roof) colour coded 6 wheels too! My inner arches are a work of art if i'm honest, they spent days getting them to sit right on my wheels with no scrubbing.

Hopefully its salvageable, unfortunately it looks to me like its been sat and neglected unfortunately. I've got some great pics of the pair of them when we did E38 years ago on the PVW stand somewhere, will try and dig them out (not sure if they are digital even, lol)

Ironically one of my good mates now has a 3 door Dragon green one, so get pics with another one now! (Rysa from VRT on here)

Simon.

Had issues with PF Autos to be honest with my mk3, arches started to rust fairly quickly not to mention all the floor wells being pushed up from the airbags they put under the car to move it about ! not recommended with a VR6 lump in as will not hold the weight.

It does look slightly neglected and not too bad for its age to be fair.

Here are some photos from around 2005 of the car at Edition 38

Thanks for the reply's and info....

I'm glad I'm sticking with it and it will live to see another day on the road....

Time and funds are a little sparse so I'm doing what I can in my spare time to keep costs down...

Had a couple of quotes for paint - looking around £1000 - £1200 for the full car doing again....

Both good friends that have quoted - can fit in-between jobs to keep cost down - and no major rush for it to be done..

The car had been sat on a damp gravel driveway not moved for the best part of 5 years...

Only major work was patching sills.

All that's fine now.
Pair of pattern wings are fitted, once car returns from paint I'm going to underseal and wax oil it to prevent any further corrosion setting in.

Previous owner used it as a daily - so winter will take its toll....

IMG_2218.thumb.JPG.adf1fc846598513ee262f

Next on my list is to attack the brakes, all copper pipe work needs replacing.

As long as I can get it to a stage ready for paint in a few weeks I'll be happy....

IMG_2236.thumb.JPG.a526ef4ed98f33f23a8ab

Need a new ignition barrel as this is badly worn if anyone has one?

Stripped down ready for a swap...

Been a quiet week this week, kids, work, and crap weather have slowed progress....

Hope to get a bit more done this weekend.

And if I can sell a couple of motorbikes - that's gonna pay for the paint job, new coilovers and some wheels all being well....

I'll just keep plodding on....

IMG_1472321768.906582.thumb.jpg.bc2ba583

Got myself a cheap set of TT comp wheels that will do me over the winter months.

IMG_1472321836.140814.jpg.796b43c7155db8

In need of refurb, but all can be done at home, local garage will remove tyres and refit for a box of teabags lol....

Yet again, rain has stopped progress!

Rear bumper removed, found a little more welding to tackle.....

IMG_1472321965.328973.thumb.jpg.40c81679

Next issue is the random cutting out when at idle, checked everything out and looking like a crank sensor issue.....

So, do I go genuine or aftermarket?

Trip to the breakers soon for more bits too....
Arch liners,
Glovebox,
Lock set,

Never ending this game!!!!

IMG_1472321768.906582.jpg

Got myself a cheap set of TT comp wheels that will do me over the winter months.

IMG_1472321836.140814.jpg

In need of refurb, but all can be done at home, local garage will remove tyres and refit for a box of teabags lol....

Yet again, rain has stopped progress!

Rear bumper removed, found a little more welding to tackle.....

IMG_1472321965.328973.jpg

Next issue is the random cutting out when at idle, checked everything out and looking like a crank sensor issue.....

So, do I go genuine or aftermarket?

Trip to the breakers soon for more bits too....
Arch liners,
Glovebox,
Lock set,

Never ending this game!!!!

I've got arch liners and a glove box, if you have no luck at local breakers

My blue VR occasionally cuts out on idle as well and that's been sitting for a while, it does have a crack in the coilpack casing though

New sensor to order for me on Tuesday I think....

Gonna price a genuine one, possibly poop my pants and get aftermarket lol....

Mine will start when cold...
Run fine for a while....
Sat idling on the drive today...
Gets warm and just cuts out...

Then cranks over and over and won't start....

• 2 weeks later...
New sensor to order for me on Tuesday I think....

Gonna price a genuine one, possibly poop my pants and get aftermarket lol....

Mine will start when cold...
Run fine for a while....
Sat idling on the drive today...
Gets warm and just cuts out...

Then cranks over and over and won't start....

Does sound like crank sensor symptoms to me breaking down when hot

Slow progress on the VR for a few weeks.....

Had a an old Yamaha FJ1200 bike to rebuild for the past 2 weeks....
IMG_2357.thumb.JPG.bf24a7ec5a68cddc7f024

That's all done now and tucked away....

Bought a couple of dragon Green 8v GTI's yesterday.

One purely for spares.... It's rotten underneath!

It all adds up when looking for a lock set, arch liners, bits of trim and odds n soda here and there.... Got the car for £50 and has 4 good wheels/tyres!
IMG_2369.thumb.JPG.f87b010aafe59d88d1c39

The other one I bought has some 16" TVR wheels on adaptors. Something a bit different..?
Only failed the test in emissions - so that should be easy enough to sort....IMG_2356.thumb.JPG.3ec5ad88c8e2221b344b4IMG_2353.thumb.JPG.48f4834960e0c63f63160
Also a pair of Morette twin headlights.
Decent audio, and other bits n bobs to rob....

Plan is to keep all the good bits for the VR, build another good 8v out of them 2...
Then sell it on...

All 3 out the way down the side of the house...
IMG_2372.thumb.JPG.128a294f3e463ce02519f

Plenty to keep me busy..... And then finish the VR off ready for paint!

Ignition lock assembly was swapped over last night and that seems to have cured the issues there. 

Next step is to start stripping the crusty 8V and get it away to the scrap man - need the space really, and keep the missus happy! 

Most of the interior is all back together in the VR and looking better now. 

Still need to tackle the rear bit of welding and do the brakes.

Fit new crank sensor,

Wheels to refurb, list goes on......

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

And so the work continues......

Been a while since I was here last....

Far too much happening with family life and other stuff... Made an effort to get some more stuff done....

All welding done - stonechip and under seal next.

All calipers painted and refitted.

Wheels on to see what they look like.

Brake pipes to sort next and bleed.
Coilovers to fit.
Sump to change.

Then paint!

Undecided if I should stick with Dragon Green or maybe go satin olive drab....?

Anyway, this is how she looks today.....

IMG_4337.JPGIMG_4334.JPGIMG_4333.JPG

• 1 month later...
And so the work continues......

Been a while since I was here last....

Far too much happening with family life and other stuff... Made an effort to get some more stuff done....

All welding done - stonechip and under seal next.

All calipers painted and refitted.

Wheels on to see what they look like.

Brake pipes to sort next and bleed.
Coilovers to fit.
Sump to change.

Then paint!

Undecided if I should stick with Dragon Green or maybe go satin olive drab....?

Anyway, this is how she looks today.....

IMG_4337.thumb.JPG.2f1436bf3f40454a36321ddb36480744.JPGIMG_4334.thumb.JPG.7084ed7649a5ea99ee0c3104d7b483d8.JPGIMG_4333.thumb.JPG.54bdd248f61f745a8a4fd87716f695ac.JPG

Keep her dragon green