I posted a topic few weeks ago about my vr6 loosing water. I found out that my filler cap was the problem the rubber O ring inside the cap was snapped so the water under pressure was coming out and past the cap. so I brought a new genuine vw one. Iv now done a coolant change but Iv now noticed that my water level goes up past the max sign and all my coolant pipes go super hard and when Iv driven the car and leave it overnight the pipes are still hard until I take the cap off then my water level shoots up ☹️☹️ can anyone help please thanks ash

It is normal for the coolant to raise in the bottle when hot, and hoses would go harder, but wouldn't expect to be hard the following day!

If you are running the black coolant cap they were prone to failure on the pressure relief system in the cap. If you are running the black cap, then update to the later blue one from VW with a much improved design.

It does sound like there is a possible air lock in the system and the coolant is not circulating (if all is well you should see it re-circulating into the coolant bottle from the smaller hose).

Try running the car with heaters blowing hot, If you are getting no heat from the heaters then would also back up the theory of an air lock in the system and then would just need to tease out those air locks via various methods.

Let us know how you get on so we can help you further :) 

ThAnk you for your reply I have a blue filler cap but I believe that the expansion tank is a cheap £20 one off eBay could this be the problem? I do get hot air coming from the heaters. When the car was running I was feeling all the pipes and the pipe that comes out the top of the engine going to the bulk head I can feel bubbles in the pipe. So I drained the system again and it was all ok I couldn't feel any bubbles in that pipe I gave the car abit of a Rev and boom I could feel bubbles in the pipe again. I thought it might be the head at 1st leaking exhaust side into the coolant so I turned car off and why the 2nd water pump was still going I could still feel bubbles I'm so confused anyone got a ideas please thanks again ash

Aux water pump running after ignition off is normal. I don't think the water bottle would be an issue to be honest as long as its holding pressure.

Have you managed to get to the bottom of this yet? Perhaps it could be water pump related, have you checked fins on the pump are all in tact?

Thank you for your reply no I'm still trying to get to the bottom of it ☹️ its holding pressure but the pips go rock hard when it's up to temp and water level goes up past the max sign and I go back to it when it's cold and it's still under pressure that's not normal is it? As my other car dnt do this. And Iv not checked the water pump yet but I dnt have any unusual noises coming from it thank you so much for all your help I hope I can find the problem soon

Well to answer your second question not quite easy to take apart you need to remove quite a few hoses as the geniuses at VW didn't realise you can't actually undo the thermostat housing without taking a lot of stuff off first. 

You can have a look at the following write ups they help: 

https://sites.google.com/site/stoyneff/engine-general/vr6-thermostat-housing-and-crack-pipe-replacement

Http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2385488#/topics/2385488?_k=qjgisg

Be very careful when you remove the thermostat housing as you might accidentally break the plastic coolant pipe (called a crack pipe) you will see what I mean from the above links. 

Edited by Golf_crazy
Error

Well it's difficult to advise as your car doesn't overheat neither does it not achieve temperature but the coolant pipes are still hard when you turn the car off and after its cooled down. However having re read your original post you say once you leave it overnight the next day you take the cap off to depressurize and the water rises which to me means an airlock like VR6Pete said above. So you will have to just get the air out. If you can't do it I would suggest taking it to a trusted mechanic to do it for you. 

That's right it doesn't overheat and the fans kick on and off. And it gets up to temp and oil temp flicks between 84/92 depending on how I'm driving . How would I fill the system up without getting a airlock in the system as winter is not a million miles away and I want to get it sorted before the cold weather comes but I really am thankful for all you help and advice

• 3 weeks later...