My first golf vr6!

Not been on here for a while! Just due to not having any love for the VR, even though its just had a lot of work done...anyway, the car kept cutting out when hot or wouldnt start when it was hot either, so i changed the temp sensor....noope not that :( next i changed the crank sensor feeling very positive that it will be that :) noope again :( took it into a garage to have it diagnosed and the fault didnt come up, so they called in an auto electician and its come down to the coilpack breaking down when its hot! So thats a good 100quid which i wasnt expecting to spend but hey. Also the breather filter i have on top on the engine stinks very strong of fuel and its even strong when im sat in the car? Any ideas? Fouled plugs maybe? Because it was running rich due to a faulty coolant temp sensor?

• 1 month later...

So all seems ok with the VR. The new coilpack seemed to do the trick, also had a full service and a new sump pan fitted last week..she runs miles better!

Think i might be putting the fuel smell in the car coming from the breather as its just a filter, i might just run a silicone hose to the floor instead as i cant deal with the smell.

So next on the list is to get a new sunroof seal and sort out the electrics, mirrors and windows dont work! Not sure what it could be because it was intermittant at first so i cant see it being a fuse?

And lasly i need my gearbox reconditioning or buy a second had one as its noisy when it gets hot...il get there in the end

I would recommend trying some fresh oil in your gearbox first? Might well be that oil is past it and getting too thin once warmed up? Don't need to go daft with mt90 or anything just try some cheaper comma or equivalent to see if solves it?

Cheers mate..i was actually thinking that at first but when the noise got worse when warm i thought it could be the box, it still could be but il try fresh oil first, comma and "additive"?

I've never used any gearbox additive so couldn't say but fresh oil would be my first port of call, you'd be shocked at state old oil comes out like. If it works then you've saved some £££ (and can then replace cheap oil for mt90 knowing it's not a waste) Gearbox rebuild is costly unless you diy. 

I've never used any gearbox additive so couldn't say but fresh oil would be my first port of call, you'd be shocked at state old oil comes out like. If it works then you've saved some £££ (and can then replace cheap oil for mt90 knowing it's not a waste) Gearbox rebuild is costly unless you diy. 

Thanks for that..ye i was quoted £350 to rebuild it by a guy whos done work for me before so hes knocked abit off..still alot dearer that a litre of oil lol. I dond mind splashing out on the better stuff first really..saves me doing it again if it is the oil

Have a quick search,  top of my head it's just under 2 litres to fill. (or two bottles of mt90) if it does turn out to be the box, either get a 3.6FD put in at same time as rebuild or you can put a Golf v5 box in instead (3.9FD). That's what I did but not driven it yet as mine still undergoing rebuild.

So, instead of going for a rebuild i thought about getting my gearbox oil changed for the off chance it could be shitty and thin and maybe that could be causing to to get abit noisey when warm..so off i went yesterday to the garage go get it changed and i left them to it.
Got a phone call to say its all done and ready for pick up..and the guy who did it said "oh by the way, when we took the drain plug out no oil came out, it was as dry as ghandys flip flop:-/ which was a good thing as i was expecting to pay for another gearbox. He said he flushed the gearbox with a full litre of oil to make sure there was no metal filings in there and there wasnt...drove it the long way home so it was nice and warm and its as quiet as a mouse :)) so much more pleasant to drive and cost me £40 instead of a few hundred quid...phew...good job i didnt drive it when the noises started to happen or it could of been alot worse..so overall im a happy bunny :))