Hi I'm new to the VW seen. I brought a mk3 golf vr6 few weeks ago it's in mint condition inside and out bin well looked after 2 owners from new and 68k on clock. It runs sweet as a nut. I have noticed the it's loosing water somewhere but dnt no were. Iv had it stud on my drive running for 30/40mins nothing on the ground the fans kick in at the right times. Iv also taken off my oil filler cap no mayo or nothing. Pulled my dip stick out no yogurt colour nothing. It doesn't miss fire or nothing. I get abit of smoke on start up from cold but then it goes. Can any1 give me some advice please as I'm concerned. I'm filling it up every 3/4 days. I really don't have any idea like I say it runs sweet as a nut no miss fire nothing. Can someone shed any light on this please as its a lovely car and low mileage many thanks ash

1 hour ago, Big ash said:

Hi I'm new to the VW seen. I brought a mk3 golf vr6 few weeks ago it's in mint condition inside and out bin well looked after 2 owners from new and 68k on clock. It runs sweet as a nut. I have noticed the it's loosing water somewhere but dnt no were. Iv had it stud on my drive running for 30/40mins nothing on the ground the fans kick in at the right times. Iv also taken off my oil filler cap no mayo or nothing. Pulled my dip stick out no yogurt colour nothing. It doesn't miss fire or nothing. I get abit of smoke on start up from cold but then it goes. Can any1 give me some advice please as I'm concerned. I'm filling it up every 3/4 days. I really don't have any idea like I say it runs sweet as a nut no miss fire nothing. Can someone shed any light on this please as its a lovely car and low mileage many thanks ash

Check your water pumps for any visual signs of water leaks/corrosion? Had similar on mine a few months back, turned out it was the secondary/auxilary water pump..

look for pink-ish staining around the coolant pipes and expansion tank have a good look at everything, could be the expansion cap on the tank letting go and running down the chassis?,,, also remember if your constantly topping it up with fresh water then this will also contrbute to corrosion inside the cooling system/engine sooner or later which isnt good as im assuming previous owner would of been doing the same as you , you want to use vw's g13 {or what ever number there on now} coolant mixed 50/50 with deionised water, if your coolant just looks like fresh water and has no colour then get it drained and filled up properly as it will also help in finding the leak, {pink stains}

Check the rear water pipe, that comes out of the rear of the cylinder head. Common leaking place, plus it's just above the exhaust manifold, so the coolant would burn off. Then check the rest of coolant pipes. 

Also check for wet carpets in both front foot well, check if underlay is wet. This is caused by leaking heater matrix, and heater matrix needs replacing. 

If if all else fails add a few drops of red food colouring to the coolant, making it a much more vibrant red instead of a pinky colour, then it 's usually easier to spot leak, and definitely easier to spot stains and residue, as it's bright red. Make sure to flush engine very well afterwards if using this last method.