Supercharged or turbo

This has been covered so many times dude a quick search of the forum will sometimes help you find the answers.

Its all down to personal preference and budget!  You can buy a 2nd hand charger set up for £1000-£2000 and bolt on 100 or so RELIABLE bhp.  You can do a budget turbo build or buy a cheap chinese kit from eBay and get some crazy figures and destroy your engine in seconds.  Or you can do the turbo build properly and spend over thousands for a reliable useable stupid amount of power.  The choices are endless and every one of them yours!

Plenty of build diaries on the club where folks have gone either way.  Me I will be doing both as I have an engine I have built ready for the turbo but want the car back soon so I have bought a charger to bolt onto my current set up.

Whatever you decide get a diary started and best of luck!

Edited by Dave_ciw

As has just been said, it is all down to personal preference if truth bekown.

I have a supercharged VR and the wife has a turbo charged VR.

Mine is my every day runner/driver so I like the fact that it's nice and smooth to drive, but if need be I can still put my foot down and give it large. Now all depending on what you want out of the car/use it for will help you decide if you do more research (again as has been said) as with a super charger when it's installed the power you get is pretty much all you will ever get really, where on the other hand with a turbo charger, well power wise the sky as they say is the limit. As said it's all dependent on your budget?

Me, I would say super charger as I drive my car all the time, if it's a weekend toy? Then turbo charger.

The choice is yours... :rolleyes:  :ph34r:

Whats needed for a supercharger? Map? Fuel pump?? It will be more an everyday car as ive got a jap import scooby for my weekend toy

Depends on what charger and what boost you run, anything like this will obviously need mapping, though I kept my original Ecu, so that I could just swap it back in if I removed the charger, I've uprated my fuel pump, but only because I needed a new tank. But to be honest if it's a daily sell it, buy a Golf TDI and get that mapped!

Well whats a good charger? Im new to all this stuff as like i said iv always had jap cars or cars thats turbod. Its not really a daily as such, just that i want a car that i can just get in and drive when i go and pick the little lad up or when i go training as i have a work van anyway. So the list would be

Charger (not sure which one)

Fuel pump

Injectors

Uprated brakes

Map?

Maybe some cams if i have monies left :)

I run a Rotrex, which seems to be a good charger, the main problem will probably be finding a kit, most people tend to sell complete kits with injectors etc, brakes are easy and cheap enough if you go for something like a 312mm set up on the front, vr brakes aren't to bad anyway, maps are around £400 and pretty much everyone uses Stealth Racing in Warickshire for that.

I run a Rotrex, which seems to be a good charger, the main problem will probably be finding a kit, most people tend to sell complete kits with injectors etc, brakes are easy and cheap enough if you go for something like a 312mm set up on the front, vr brakes aren't to bad anyway, maps are around £400 and pretty much everyone uses Stealth Racing in Warickshire for that.

Im guessing by forced induction you mean turbod? Its all different to me this vag stuff, but i did have leon cupra r running 370bhp running a gt3071r on low boost. Whats shrick? Or is that the name of the cams? And would that be a noticable gain? The scooby is 340bhp but i was going to get rid of it if i liked the vr and with the money off the scoob, hopefully around 6k i was planning on doing some some engine work to it

Forced induction is anything that forces air into the engine. Turbo or supercharger. Naturally aspirated is the opposite where the engine breaths only what it pulls in naturally. This relates to all engines. Not just vag.

The guy I bought my VR of replaced it with a Cupra R. He was soon calling to buy the VR back. I am on my 7th VR mate and I have slid them and bought more powerful faster cars. From big power 1.8t mk4s to 400bhp Supercharged Jags. I always end up buying another VR. I love this 12v engine. From the way it sounds to the way it pulls. Even if I get smoked by a modern diesel .

A schrick is a manifold upgrade designed only for the 12v VR. It's a rare item these days. Adds a few bhp but not much. However completely changes the way it's delivered and the torque massively. They cost around. £1000. The views I get are. The people who have never owned one say they aren't worth the money for the power gains achieved and wouldn't justify the spend. Yet the boys who run them say the difference in the way their car drives is worth every penny.

Ye i had a quick browse through his thread and the changes hes done to it are remarkable! So the shrick is a different inlet manifold? Or the same manifold with a mod? I think i need to go in s supercharged one. I thought the vr pulled ok when he took me 9for a test drive yesterday, didnt blow me away, thats probably because id just got out my scooby and got in the vr..but it did sound nice and drive well..iv always had a soft spot for the vr6....oh and another thing....were can i get some crystal lights from? The ones on there are genuine hella quads, one has a cracked lense but i like the crystal standard ones...oh and some vr6 badges

I was in @VIW28 Monster when it was running 518BHP through the front wheels!  He then blew his manifold to bits and fitted a short runner which allowed him to turn up the boost!  Last it was running was 650bhp!   Then the world is moving at a crazy pace!  Gethins VR is a 24V MK4 engine running a huge precision turbo and its a crazy thing!

The Schrick is a whole new manifold!  Benny's attention to detail is unreal and he is a wheel whore!  As said if your scooby is pushing big numbers a standard VR wont be impressed by a standard VR.  If you have the coin and the time its easy to make these cars untouchable!