How long have you owned your VR6?

How long have you owned your VR6?

I've owned my current Corrado for 7 years but have had a mk3 golf vr6 and mk2 vr6 previously.

5769c564115c9_ImageUploadedByTheVR6Owner

Owned VR6's since I was 18 - now 32 so clocking up those years! Of course I wouldn't change that for anything and won't be selling the Corrado any time soon!

Probably only done around 12k mileage since buying the Corrado too due to limited mileage and also down to the fact I've been rebuilding it over several years.

So come on then let's hear about your VR6 and its history!

Had mine for about 2.5 years. Wasn't looking to buy a car but it was on an auction site and no one else bid so I got cheap! It's an ex Japan car with 1 New Zealand owner before me. Has been a daily driver/rolling restoration since owning it and will be getting a few performance upgrades later this year.

Plenty of vids of my VR6 on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoQd1dh55tqF-tbGuVnWPGg including taking it to the race track

IMAG3393.jpg

I've owned my mk3 highline for just over 3 years now and it wasn't bought out of choice. I placed an add on another site for a Mk3 GTI 16v and a young chap messaged to ask if I was interested in a VR6. First thought was the fuel bill and I weren't interested to be fair but the chap insisted on sending me some pics. Totally standard and with only 43k on the clock and with full documented history I decided to take a look down in Birmingham. The car was first owned by BP Oil and given to the elderly chap I bought it from when he retired. The guy I had been dealing with was the son of the old chap who drove it down to Birmingham from Kent where it sat in his garage and only came out on the odd occasion to keep it moving. Only taxed for 6 months a year and parked away and cover during the winter months.

So in Birmingham and the guys were very welcoming. Made me a cup of tea and we sat down to chat about the car. It wasn't about buying the car and sending me on my way. He wanted to know future plans and showed me the history he had right down to the last receipt. It even came with original bill of sale and all previous V5's, MOT's and tax discs's.

Out for a test run and the guy told me he had never driven it over 50mph as he once put his foot down in 2 gear and it scared the life out of him. Haha. Anyway we drank some more tea and stuck a deal and I was off back to Manchester in my new VR.

I remember the journey home being all smiles as the car purred along the M6. I couldn't wait to get it home and show my pals who pushed for me to buy it.

Back home and sitting snug on the driveway the mind started to kick think about future mods so I took to the Internet for a good read and up popped the VR6OC. A good hour browsing the forum as a guest and I made myself a fully paid member and the warm welcome was cool. I remember@michael5556 saying another manchester one to our collection. (Bet he doesn't remember that) i guess that could only be a dig at you southern lot as you have stole most of the uk's Vr's. Hahahaha.

On further browsing and now a member of the vr6oc I decided to take a look at the fancy wheels and mods you guys had done and for the love of it I had to have some new wheels and a coil over kit to make it look that little bit nicer. I also took the decision to park it away and only bring it out when the weather was nice. I wanted to keep the miles low and keep it looking good so it got parked away down at work with a cover over it.

I'm not going to go into more detail as I feel the car has come along way since owning it and I'd like to start a build thread soon with lots of pics of how the car first started life. I don't bring it out much being on a limited miles policy so she sits snug in the corner of our unit covered up with a battery conditioner on to bounce her into combustion when I feel the need to drive her.

You will see more of her shortly in a build thread but here's a couple of picks in her current state.

ImageUploadedByThe VR6 Owners  Club1466577572.181139.jpgImageUploadedByThe VR6 Owners  Club1466577583.447485.jpgImageUploadedByThe VR6 Owners  Club1466577593.431479.jpgImageUploadedByThe VR6 Owners  Club1466577602.158630.jpgImageUploadedByThe VR6 Owners  Club1466577610.984176.jpg

Had my B3 vr6 since 07, and 3 mk3 vr6(one turbo and one B3 vr6 donor car.

My b3 started out Stock and now sits in bits in my workshop due to it's 4th gearbox has bearing failure... Engine is bored up to a Nice 3,1 with 11,5:1.

Hope to have her back on The road during this summer.

No images since i'm on The app.

Had my B3 vr6 since 07, and 3 mk3 vr6(one turbo and one B3 vr6 donor car.

My b3 started out Stock and now sits in bits in my workshop due to it's 4th gearbox has bearing failure... Engine is bored up to a Nice 3,1 with 11,5:1.

Hope to have her back on The road during this summer.

No images since i'm on The app.

You can send images from the app dude.

Bought my first in 2007. Joined the club not long after. It was a more door dusky mauve with 250k Miles

ImageUploadedByThe VR6 Owners  Club1467181894.668705.jpg

I had a few others in between but don't have any pictures. Until I got onto my favourite one I have owned. The Dragon Green one!

ImageUploadedByThe VR6 Owners  Club1467181977.524364.jpg

Sold it on a whim like a right stupid muppet! Then tried to replace it a couple of months later with a Mullberry Highline more door!

ImageUploadedByThe VR6 Owners  Club1467182048.478851.jpg

ImageUploadedByThe VR6 Owners  Club1467182061.712870.jpg

This one just didn't come close. Had no time or love for this one unfortunately. So it got broke for parts as I had removed the engine and box to do some work and lost interest.

This led me onto my current whip which I had no intentions of buying but Rob had looked after the car so well and offered me at a bargain price. So I bought it. Fact is I have owned 7 personally and it would appear no matter what I buy, be it more powerful or better looking. Nothing I have drove is anywhere near as enjoyable as the 12v VR.

ImageUploadedByThe VR6 Owners  Club1467182311.029568.jpg

ImageUploadedByThe VR6 Owners  Club1467182360.965020.jpg

• 1 month later...

Bought my Passat vr6 in Feb 2015 and still enjoying it now
I bought it as a non runner. As the heater matrix had gone.
It has a 2.9 inlet manifold mates to a 2.8 ported tb.
Then I swap the coilovers over from my last car and added some TT rims.
Then mostly enjoyed it.
Recently I've added the exhaust and kept up to maintenance.
Hopefully never going to let it go. IMG_1470082781.979870.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Golf VR6 Auto

An ebay purchase in August 2013.

I always wanted one so when I saw it for £1200 I could not resist.

Had been resprayed properly in the past and had low miles....probably due to the gearbox problem.

Ran it for 2 years as the primary car and did 20K miles.

Have changed hopeless angle eye lights for Mk3.5 crystals.

Used Koni dampers with H&R springs replaced dangerous lowered setup

Cone filter (previous one was too small)

Headlamp switch

Crack pipe etc

New aux belt and pulleys (failure of the these caused it's only breakdown).

New front wheel bearing

New rear wheel bearings

Regassed air con (climatronic)

Fixed gearbox (wiring x 2)

Removed aftermarket alarm after malfunction.

Cleaned up earths in engine bay to fix instruments and improve charging

Reinstated rear wiper with a Mk4 one.

New lower front wishbones

New engine mounts

Steering wheel cable band

..plus normal servicing.

Currently SORN in the garage, but will be back on the road in 2017 with classic insurance. Needs a bit of bodywork love (bennyk hopefully) as has a few rust spots on the rear arches, front windscreen surround, rear hatch (body not tailgate), sills (probably will replace) and a dent on the door. But otherwise all good with great performance and fantastic sound.

IMG_0249.JPG

Edited by red_rocket