New member that needs help!

Hi guys.

I've been given an R-Reg (97) MK3 2.8 VR6 Golf. 99k miles on the clock with I think 4 previous owners. 

Unfortunately it had been sitting on a driveway for around 2.5 years with little to no movement, however previous to this had passed it's MOT with no advisories. 

Around 4 months ago I took it for an MOT, and it failed on:

- Suspension Arm has excessive play in a pin/bush nearside front
- Suspension Arm attachment bracket/mounting insecure [bolt]
- Front CV joint gaiter damaged to the extentent that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt.
- ABS warning light (this was on when it passed the MOT however)
- Headlamp Aim too high NS
- Headlamp Aim too low OS
- Front Position lamps not working NS

And these were the advisorys:

- All wheel arches slightly corroded
- sill covers fitted
- brake disc worn/pitted/scored not seriously weakended FRONT AND REAR
- Brake pipe slightly corroded 

I think I can do Suspension arm bushing and CV joint gaiter myself (watch a few videos and seems quite easy).

HOWEVER - the question is is it worth doing?

I've researched the problems with a static car, the main ones being:
- all wheels will have to be refurbed as the seal has gone and tyres slowly deflate
- Cam belt (however I've been told as it's chain driven that this is nothing to worry about as they should last the length of the engine?)
- Rust - VR6's notorious for rust.

What I can tell you about how it runs
- Seems to run really smoothly, however tappets tick until engine is heated (been told an oil change will fix this), and it roars like a loin. 

I just really want someones honest advice on what I should do with it? I'd love to keep it but I dread to think what it will cost if there are any underlying problems caused by the car being static for 2 years? Also - how much is it worth with/without an MOT? Is it worth putting it through it or should I just get rid of it now?

I know this is a lot of info, but it'd mean the world if someone could shed some light on this for me,

Cheers,
Oli.

IMG_0730-min.JPG

IMG_0731-min.JPG

IMG_0732-min.JPG

IMG_0733-min.JPG

IMG_0734-min.JPG

1 minute ago, mattvr6 said:

Damn right it's worth doing!! Not many in that colour either, timing chain is a serviceable part like anything if the oil changes have been neglected it won't last as long as one that hasn't, it will have an obvious scratching type noise from the gear box side as its on that side on these

Haha, that seems to be the consensus! What do you reckon it's worth (now or with work?)

1 minute ago, mattvr6 said:

Now 4/500£ done up correctly £2000 plus but there starting to creep up now, only thing is once u have drove it u won't want to get rid ask anyone on here hahaha

Yeah I know I've driven it for a few miles and it was so much fun. Just unfortunately being a uni student means the bank isn't big, if not it'd be perfect right now! Trying to weigh up if it's worth spending the money to get it to that sort of condition or if I'll just lose too much.

The car is worth more to you than anyone else. Your bills will be cut in half if you do the work yourself. Everything you've mentioned is DIY work and with the help of our members on here you will get by. What you need to realise is.... A VR6 is a money pit. Haha. You can never spend enough money on them but they are a car that will put a smile on your face. A big smile. A start would be to find some dry storage whilst you make your decision. Another good start would be to research every job needed and the tools to do that job and firstly check out the extent of any rust because bodywork isn't cheap if you want a good job done.

They ain't money pits both mine have been the most reliable cars I've had and I've had a lot, were trying to keep another one going not discourage! There easy to work on simple electrics blah blah unlike modern shite cars

Exactly my quote if you read properly. By money pit I mean you will never get back what you put into it when you sell. So keep and enjoy the fun.

10 hours ago, VR6CABBS said:

The car is worth more to you than anyone else. Your bills will be cut in half if you do the work yourself. Everything you've mentioned is DIY work and with the help of our members on here you will get by. What you need to realise is.... A VR6 is a money pit. Haha. You can never spend enough money on them but they are a car that will put a smile on your face. A big smile. A start would be to find some dry storage whilst you make your decision. Another good start would be to research every job needed and the tools to do that job and firstly check out the extent of any rust because bodywork isn't cheap if you want a good job done. emoji106.pngemoji106.png

I get you mate!  Yours is a ow miler with 50K requires hardly any work and is hardly ever driven!  Yet with the wheels, brake upgrades, paintwork, US spec bumpers etc etc it becomes a money pit.  A money pit through choice though.

To the OP do the work mate you won't be sorry and you will fall in love.  These are one of the easiest engines to work on and if you become a fully paid member at the bargain price it is you can download the workshop manual for the engine from this club along with tons of other extras!  I did a head gasket on mine using that manual with NO mechanic experience!

First job would be seats and carpet out, check the areas around drainage plugs for rot.  Then get on with your more serviceable parts.  The upper chain guides are very easily replaced if you have any chain noise along with the upper tensioner bolt.  These bolts use oil pressure which can drain when the car is unused.

Either way its a labour of love and there isn't many satin silver ones about..

Get it done and welcome to the club..