hi chaps back again. Made some progress with the turbo work. Engines built, turbos on short runners on engines back in and gearbox is rebuilt with a LSD installed. Now its time to do the fueling. Im aiming for 450ish bhp and was wondering what my options are. I want to keep my standard fuel tank in the mk3, should i opt for a walbro 255 intank pump? Or a bosch 044 external pump with a standard low presure pump in tank feeding the 044? Are there any other options? To be honest with you im after the most simple installs as this project has hit one snag after another. Any help or suggestions welcome aslong as you are talking first hand experiance and not here say what you have read, or what you mates mate has told you ive been lead up the garden path a few times and want to get stuff right first time.

Walbro 255 in tank is more than adequate for your application. If your goals change the walbro 400 is good for 1000bhp.

At no point would I ever recommend fitting an Bosch 044.

They are noisy, outdated and more effort than their worth. By the time you have one installed your £300 in on a genuine pump, swirlpot and pipes.

Walbro 255 = £75 

Walbro 400 = £120

Job done.

I have 2 pumps but don't know what they are! Problem when you get someone else's project! I have a custom fuel cell and allegedly a Motorsport pump in it and another one pulling fuel to an external swirl pot.

all I can say is that when the external one kicks in that's all I can hear, start up is great as you can hear the priming before as key turn bit don't expect to hear any music until your rolling!

I would suggest measuring what the turbo requirements an comparing it to your current fuel pressure reg standard odb2 is 3 bar and I believe that some odb1 run a 4 bar one

let us know how you get on

steve

Looks like a walbro 400 is on the cards when i get some spare time ill pop it on and let you chaps know what the fitting was like, I remember stealth racing supplying a "kit" which consisted of a bit metal ring which the pump sat in and people only being able to run a minimum of 1/4 tank. Is this going to be the same?

9 minutes ago, Sump_slammer said:

Looks like a walbro 400 is on the cards when i get some spare time ill pop it on and let you chaps know what the fitting was like, I remember stealth racing supplying a "kit" which consisted of a bit metal ring which the pump sat in and people only being able to run a minimum of 1/4 tank. Is this going to be the same?

I recently got the walbro 255 for my supercharger install. Looking at around 300bhp.

it comes with the adapter you mentioned, unsure if this same adapter fits the 400 though? (One for you to ask Vince). 

I have done some testing running low on fuel and have not had any issues with surge. Sure if I drove it hard enough on a low tank I would get issues but driving sensibly on a low tank then should be ok. 

The reason this happens is because the new pump doesn't seal like the original factory pump and swirl pot is not as effective during low tank conditions and you get surging - don't let it put you off though! 

Pete

cool, i don't often run a tank on the light but if i was to get caught short id like to know i could cruise it to a petrol station. ill order up a pump and do some investigating. also wonder if you'll need to run higher gauge wiring to the pump from the fuel pump relay like they did in mighty car mods nissan v8 turbo "the double unicorn build".

Forget all these kits they are a load of crap. I bought a cheap new housng like this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRICAL-IN-TANK-FUEL-PUMP-AND-FLOAT-VW-SHARAN-1-8-2-0-2-8-V6-VR6-24V-T-20V-/361511667321?hash=item542bc64679:g:BUkAAOSwBPNXSE4u), then removed the standard pump and secured the Walbro 400 in with chemical metal.

Worked a treat whatever the fuel level.

Standard wiring is ok for Walbro 400 and 255.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not have any problems at all. After messing about with Bosch 044 ear bashing madness it was one of the best mods I ever did.

Also I found out the hard way why not to use rubber pipes in the cabin as the 044 swirl pot setup made the whole car stink of fuel.