Hi, I want to bullet proof my 02c until I get my haldex convo done. Been looking into peening and currently have got a quote for 430 plus vat to do the whole gear set, I really only want 3rd and 4th done but the guy won't do it. Can anyone recommend anywhere darn sarth (down south) that does it and also general opinions about it.

cheers

steve

Should be interesting to see if it makes much difference. What power are the 02c's known for holding 350-400?

If your looking to preserve your current box then a larger turbo that comes in later and some cleaver mapping to keep torque down at lower rpm's should help.

22 hours ago, matty.vrt said:

Should be interesting to see if it makes much difference. What power are the 02c's known for holding 350-400?

If your looking to preserve your current box then a larger turbo that comes in later and some cleaver mapping to keep torque down at lower rpm's should help.

they hold no more power than the 02A, here is an article from NASA about peening http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19820024860.pdf the results read that it makes the metal more resistant to fractional stresses by about 1.5 times. 3rd is renowned for getting stripped so for £150 extra i think its well worth it. plus they come back all shiny! just need a clear case to show them off now......

cheers

steve

4 hours ago, ssaunders said:

they hold no more power than the 02A, here is an article from NASA about peening http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19820024860.pdf the results read that it makes the metal more resistant to fractional stresses by about 1.5 times. 3rd is renowned for getting stripped so for £150 extra i think its well worth it. plus they come back all shiny! just need a clear case to show them off now......

cheers

steve

Trust me I know the problems with 3rd after two gearboxes bit the dust on my old vrt. 

I was thinking for the price it sounds like it is worth a try.

You will have to let us know how we get on?

• 2 months later...

I've always preferred cryogenic freezing, plus frozen solid used to accept just a few cogs and shafts, business is business I guess! The box will tend to get some degree of heat treatment obviously over the years and to be honest both shot peening and cryo freezing is more of a surface type of hardness treatment with little effect on deeper modification from what I've looked into.

In terms of simple physics and math; the physical properties are likely to all be the same for most similar gearboxes, as from what I've read the material between the VAG parts (age dependent I suppose) is the same, therefore same physical strength/torque levels. Where the physical properties would differ is in the design of the parts which also comes into play with age related parts; if you imagine 4 teeth on 2 cogs meshing together, the new ones with correct fitting teeth are likely to have far less stress, shearing forces etc, than those with teeth that are worn down - there is simply more gaps/incorrect fitment/alignment that will ultimately cause more physical load/stress due to that very reason! "Tolerance" as it is known in engine building! 

In all honesty, it's these basics that are often overlooked which is exactly how stress, shearing etc forces work! So with either one you're toughening to a degree but these areas could be under far more strain than oem due to use/wearing/tolerances!

If you're serious about these things then the best option if there are enough of you is this;

Material specification counts for a lot as the base physical properties start with that, quite technical in which you use, lot's of options etc but.....

If you use a UK company it tends to be about three times as expensive in developing custom cast or forged parts on the whole than one from China say! Done a lot of research on this so know. Main cost is the IP rights for the mold, the base pattern for a part and yes, if you do your homework there are companies over there that don't just market someone else's and will have you pay for said rights. Once that's done the material is taken into account, obviously cost per unit there based on that, then the manufacture and delivery of said parts!

There are some holes in the market and to be honest on things like this most just buy another but if you're spending a fair whack on a build then should we get a discussion going?

My 2p!