Which Head Spacer?

Hello fellow dubbers! :)

Im getting my AAA Cylinder Head and block skimmed as it needed abit of Tlc, Im also going forced induction (C30-94 Rotrex) eventually and i basically wanted to know, As they are both getting skimmed and block fitted with forged pistons also. What size head  spacer will i need?! :mellow: I really don't want to get this wrong and then have to pull the engine apart if somthing goes wrong (I'm a bit of a worrior :unsure:)  so any Comments positive and negative would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

maybe have a word with a engine builder who has worked on these before,or the person who will skim/bore the head/block..as u say you need to get this right or problems will ensue....i guess it will depend on what parts/mods you do/use so get some advice from a engine builder I would say,,they;) will be happy to help,

hi, normal spacers i believe are just a cork head gasket split over a mk4 metal gasket so unless you start stacking them you wont get a thicker one which i cant see being a good idea? i think the skimming is done in thousandths of a mm as well so how much will a '000 mm affect compression, not a great deal as far as i can see.

when you say forged pistons do you mean low comp? if they are low comp then you wont need a spacer anyway. 

what power do you want? i know people running with 300 charged with just a spacer and standard pistons and i think that most chargers run out of steam around that mark unless you go for tiny pulleys.

if your doing all that work dont forget the transmission!

good luck

s

Hey ssaunders, power wise i want to run 330-350 brake and 10 psi. and defo going for low comp forged pistons. Everything should be ok hopefully. Thanks for taking the time out to respond mate. I now have a better understanding of what to do next !. :)

Hey ssaunders, power wise i want to run 330-350 brake and 10 psi. and defo going for low comp forged pistons. Everything should be ok hopefully. Thanks for taking the time out to respond mate. I now have a better understanding of what to do next !. :)

On 11 May 2016 at 6:42 PM, 15 DEGREEZ said:

Take a look at my V6 4motion build thread, People have made that power with that amount of boost on a completely standard engine, standard compression with good tuning. 

I don't believe that you need forged pistons for that power level, a spacer designed for either 9:1 or 8.5:1 will work great for you. They spacer manufacturer will be able to tell you what it will drop your compression to. Skimming the head/block will have very little effect on compression ratio unless very large amounts are taken off, but they you run into valve to piston clearance problems etc. 

Who are you getting to tune the car? They will be able to tell you what compression ratio the tune was designed for

Any more questions please feel free to ask, there is a lot of things to consider and a wealth of knowledge on here that can help you out 

Dave

Hey dave_424 Thanks a alot for the info mate :) ! well  basically once all is done, i was going to take the car to Vince at stealth racing. But that wont be for a while yet as i need all the other bits for the engine.

I Was just thinking if i strengthen the internals from the ground up then i would eliminate a few possible issues down the line. if i can get that sort of power on stock internals with just a spacer plate then thats good news! I know benny k on this forum has a rotrex charged VR on stock internals and his one pushing out 307ish BHP. So that will save me a few quid !!

Thanks Dave, I probably will be asking a few more questions as this goes on :)