Hi guys and gals I recently done this and thought I'd pass it on as there is a lot of conflicting information out there ( sorry for the length but want it to be in depth )

i bought a mk2 shell from a friend then it was built and converted from a 1.3 to obviously a vr6 the 2.8, I insured the car as a 2.8 and after reading all over the net that I could tax the car as a 1.3 and drive it as long as it was insured as a 2.8 I thought great, but after the time and money invested in the car I decided to do research into this, and was proved not the case.

i done further reading and read that I could take the v5 to the post office and they can change it on the system, yes they can change it from the 1.3 to disabled tax but as it passes through into a new tax band only dvla can do it.

i updated the v5c had to get a v70 form ( YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THIS AND PRINT IT OFF ) then fill it out, I didn't fill in the milage as its not required by law on this form and I didn't fill in the old revenue weight or the new revenue weight as I didn't know, you also have to include the mot certificate and I got a engineers report not from AA or RAC but a local place that does them and you also have to include a cheque for the outstanding amount of that that would be due this is the more complicated bit.

the tax you paid i.e. My one the 1.3 so it's the new tax price minus the old tax then you decide that by 12 to get your monthly price then you have to times that by how long is left on you current tax i.e. 3 month

they also say about getting a receipt from the garage that done the conversion but in my case it was a drive way conversion so I didn't include a receipt, you then send this all off to the dvla ( I recommend recorded mail ) and I was on the phone often to check on the progress you can also go on google and search car tax check and put your reg and make of car in and in my case at the cc section it said 12something cc so that made it 1.3l and if you keep checking you will see the change once it's been done to 27something cc

like I say sorry for the length but I hope it helped.