hey guys -

i have noticed this really strong fuel smell in the mornings when i start the car, it appears to be coming from the rear of the car as far as i am aware and does my head in!!! after a bit it will disappear but if i start the car again it sets off all over again......

has anyone ever come across this or can anyone point me in the right direction to sort this out?

!ill

i've got similar problems at the moment.

mine actually leaks for a short while when filling up and the car stinks to high heaven when on overun.

mine has been tampered with recently tho so god knows whats been done.

i'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

open the bonnet and have a look on the lefthand side of the engine and follow the two petrol pipes back towards where the bulk head. You will see where they join the petrol pipe. There are normally some factory jubilee clip things. They normally leak as my ones did. just replace. :D

when you say rear is it coming from the boot? there is a metal disc about 8" diameter with 4 screws (underneath the boot carpet), under that is the fuel pump. if the smell is coming from that it could be that the 'o' ring that seals the fuel pump to the fuel tank has slipped, quick and easy job for a mechanic. it doesn't sound like the fuel pump itself as you havn't mentioned bad performancce issues. good luck ''

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem at the moment, i put it down to the car overfueling as i have a split in a breather hose, had it taken to a garage and they said it had something to do with the injectors. It was fixed for about 2 days but now is back and my MPG is worse than ever!

I do have another one for you guys.... One from my own experience.

Ok so External to the car and underneath. You need to lay flat and look at the bottom of the car. you are looking just behind the drivers seat location and looking for the fuel filter. They are normally never replaced. However, if the car has had some stuff done or is a higher milage, been grounded etc. they can be or may have been changed. During this change process the special little clips either side can break or fail with age. This then means they can leak a little So when you find the cylinder just rub your fingers over the low point and see if there is fuel. The fix is easy Jubilee clips and a bit of Loctite - remember not to deform the pipe otherwise you can restrict the flow - If doing this always an option to replace the filer as, like I mentioned it is never changed in the cars life under normal service routine.

MPG is pants as you are leaking fuel...

Hope it helps

I spotted a fuel leak this morning at the front end of the rubber fuel lines at the engine end. I'll see about doing a cut'n'shut on the hoses (if there's enough free length) and then I'll look for new ones. Didn't have time to do anything about it before work.

Are the hoses special VW parts or can I use any suitable length/diameter fuel line?

I have a similar problem. The fault code on VAG reads EVAP Cannister Purge Regulator Valve.

I have ordered a new valve and will let u know if this cures the problem.

I've got this same fault on my car, and was told by Stealth Racing that it was normal for this fault to come on.

Let us know if the nev valve makes any difference.

I have a similar problem. The fault code on VAG reads EVAP Cannister Purge Regulator Valve.

Wont make a blind bit of difference.

Mine has that fault now and again, and it is common. Its just emissions crap, not worth worrying about and certinaly not the cause of a strong fuel smell.

Wont make a blind bit of difference.

Mine has that fault now and again' date=' and it is common. Its just emissions crap, not worth worrying about and certinaly not the cause of a strong fuel smell.

[/quote']

Still, i'd rather the fault code wasn't there!