Hi all,

Long story short: Blew a head gasket on the way to the airport a couple of weeks ago (secondary waterpump failed, hose sheared off, overheated etc).

Just made our flight after a very nice RAC man showed up in record time, towed us to a workshop and then dropped us off at departues (we owe you beer, dude!).

A few days later the phone calls began (blown head gasket confirmed following pressure check).

So the head was removed and the next phone call was all about explaining that the head was knackered due to excessive corrosion in the coolant channels and the block was in a similar state :(

It sounds to me like the car was run for a while with just water in or inadequate corrosion inhibiter :(

Head pic:

Golf%20Head%201_zpsdcyvylll.jpg

Now the head does not look too bad to me except for the coolant channels on the left and right (no serious pitting etc) i've definitely seen worse.

At this point I was offered a straight engine swap, the donor engine coming from a rear ended write off with unknown history and a 3 month warranty for nearly £2k including fitting, does this sould like a good deal / wise choice to anyone, you know, to spend that much money on an engine with possibly very high mileage and completely unchecked? It does not sound like a good option to me anyway! For that money remanufactured or reconditioned at least!

Meanwhile I was looking for a replacement head / block.

I found this reconditioned head but the ports look different, look in the middle and compare to above:

head1_zps1xrzuk3u.jpg

Part number on this head is 021103373E as opposed to the oem 021103373B.. is this important and would this fit if I bought it?

Anyway, there are quite a few heads around, but very few / no blocks....

Does anyone know the oem part number for a '97 Golk Mk3 VR6 block? (OBD2 AAA engine)

More importantly, does anyone have a decent condition standard bore 2.8 block I can liberate from them to rescue my car from the breakers?

*snif* *sniff*

Edited by kerayzee
pic change