Rattle noise from lower right rear of engine bay

Hi, just recently bought an R Reg mk3 golf vr6 engine code AAA, it's done 114k, it's completely standard car with no mods at all, which will change soon :D Lol but I wanted to make sure that the mechanical side of things are spot on before nodding the car, I have a rattle knocking noise coming from the rear of the engine down by the gearbox but it's not the gearbox it's on the back of the lump, on the right hand side, it almost sounds like a chain hitting the casing do these cars have a balance shaft?? Or any ideas what it is and what I need to get to replace or sort this problem, I've added pictures to help where I'm meaning the sound is coming from 

thanks 

Keaton 

image.png

image.png

This is where the chains are mate. If you have excessive noise it could be time to exchange your chains, tensioners and guides. It's not such a bad job but does take a little time.

id recommend upgrading the top tensioner to a single piece item off a late 12v. I have a spare if you want it but your best bet is to buy a kit.

I thought the timing chains were on the left hand side by the air filter box? Or you on about a different chains? Cause where this noise is coming from is as your facing the front of the car it's at the back right of the engine bay and the air filter box is at the front left, but if you are on about different chains could you help me with what there for and names please so I can get new ones and sort this noise out as I just want it all how it should be lol 

Edited by Keatonfuller94
Ohhh okay fellas cheers, I got told the timing chains are in a different place that's where I'm getting confused but cheers mate 

Yes, at first I couldn't work out why it's a gearbox off job to do the chains, I know now though, that's my chains are still to be done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could remove the tensioner bolt to inspect, or replace as it should keep chains tensioned up, it uses oil pressure, later tensioner bolt has a spring in also.

However at 114k it is probably time to think about doing the chains. If you are mechanically minded there is a guide in the club members area to do DIY - along with required part numbers etc.. but you can search option in the forum as its been discussed hundreds of times :) 

or you are looking at around £500 - £700 to get a garage to do it for you, I can personally recommend Stealth Racing :)