Hello I have been very slowly fixing a a 92 VR6. The Aux water pump was missing and the heater matrix had been by passed. I connected everything to how it should be, the windows steamed up water started coming out of the vents. Now i need to replace the matrix to get it working properly. Does anyone have any advice u am fairly sure its a dash out job is there anything I should do to make sure I do so I do not anything also before I did this foam was comming out of the vents does anyone know where i can get replacement foam?  

I just did this on my Corrado. I'm told it can be done without removing the dash but I took the dash out to inspect everything.

the foam on the directional flaps in your heater box will be more like dust now. I removed the lot and covered each flap with self adhesive felt from British felt website. Great service from British felt.

valeo matrix were oem if you can find one. 

100% take your dash out - if you've had water blowing out of your vents there will be pools of coolant in the heater box etc... and you will constantly be steaming up.

Top tip - masking tape and write on what each plug is for, taking lots of photos as you go along.

It's probably at least a full day job, but you can DIY without the need for a garage to do the work for you.... id also recommend that you get some heaters in the car to dry it all out.

If you have a corrado, take great care removing the heater controls as they are very delicate.

Pete

9 hours ago, olivermorganclarke said:

Thanks man for the advice on the foam! I will look into them. i was just going to buy the heater matrix off of euro parts. only £15-£25 
what type of foam did you put back on the flaps?
thanks

http://www.britishfelt.com/admiral-felt-adhesive-1mm.html?search=1mm%20black

i used this. It helps to reduce squeaks too.

8 hours ago, olivermorganclarke said:

Thanks for the tip dude! Its a golf but i will still be careful with the controls. Defiantly will be a DIY job as i have the time and space thanks  man

No worries. There is a good guide available to club members on doing the heater matrix and is a god send to anyone doing a DIY job.