MK3 97 VR6 Intermittent Start / Cut Out Probs

Having some problems with my vr over the past few months,

Started by once not starting, just cranking over, never done that in the 3 years i've had it, always started 1st turn of the key.

Then it started no problem,

A few weeks later, started 1st time moved off the drive and parked up, switched off, went inside for a bit came back out then nothing, just cranking and cranking, ( cant hear fuel pump running). Left it for a few hours then started 1st try again!

Once running no problems, full power, no mis fires etc.

Now last week on my way to work i was stuck in traffic and it cut out when idling in a row of cars, bumped it up the curb and left it, went back to collect it a few hours later and started 1st time! Strange!!

So came home time, almost got home, cut out at a set of lights, bugger! Probed the +ve wire at the fuel pump while the mrs turned it over and it coughed into life,

So i thought fuel pump relay, checked it and it seams fine,

Left it running today till it cut out, took out fuel pump relay and put a live straight on the pump ( can hear it) now tried turning it over, NOTHING!

Only fault code is G28 Crank position sensor, but only when it hasnt started, when it runs all codes clear fine.

So any ideas guys?

Either Crank Sensor,  Or ECU playing up??

Am i correct in saying that OBD2 has no ecu relay?

Cheers

Luke

Mine did exactly the same when it got hot - turned over without starting. Left it to cool off 10 mins and it was fine.

Also, a few cutouts - including one on the M6!!! - again, after a few minutes it would start and run for a few more minutes. That was a long drive home after work...

Checked resistance of sensor and it was within spec, but that was off the car and cold. Had a spare old one, swapped it in, no more problems after that. Don't think they're outrageous to buy new, just a bit of an effort to fit - especially if you're lowered...

Might also think of ignition switch (waggle key slightly and see if it cuts out). Much more of a faff to fix so I hope it's not that.

Good luck!

6 hours ago, DrRich said:

Mine did exactly the same when it got hot - turned over without starting. Left it to cool off 10 mins and it was fine.

Also, a few cutouts - including one on the M6!!! - again, after a few minutes it would start and run for a few more minutes. That was a long drive home after work...

Checked resistance of sensor and it was within spec, but that was off the car and cold. Had a spare old one, swapped it in, no more problems after that. Don't think they're outrageous to buy new, just a bit of an effort to fit - especially if you're lowered...

Might also think of ignition switch (waggle key slightly and see if it cuts out). Much more of a faff to fix so I hope it's not that.

Good luck!

Must have been scary cutting out on a motorway mate! Worst nightmare if you are going at some pace. 

Good and valid point in the ignition switch. Common issue. 

• 2 weeks later...