Vortech Charger owners - Pics/Advice needed.

Go to solution Solved by six appeal,

Hi guys,

Got a little issue with my Supercharged VR6 at the minute. It's an OBD2 VR6 with Low Comp re-built engine running a Vortech Charger. Having a few issues with the Catch can that comes with the kit as it keeps either leaking or blowing the hoses off! Causing the car to run rough and not idle well when it does.

Currently I run the Catch can in the place of the PCV valve (this has been removed) with one end of catch can connected to the cam cover breather outlet and the other connected to the air inlet pipe between the charger and the throttle body.

I'm looking at getting a metal catch can and fittings (as opposed to the crappy plastic one supplied with the kit) as hoping this will remove any small air leaks.

What do you guys find best to run? Metal catch cans? Catch cans with the PCV? Anyone got pics of their set up please?

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

Ps. It runs a Shrick too, but don't think that should matter, more interested in what others are running.

Thanks Pete, that's a big help. So does that go from the cam cover to the PCV then a pipe onto the catch tank which then vents to atmosphere Pete? You running a charger now?

Thinking about it and chatting to to a mate, I think it maybe the fact its taking a pipe from between the charger and throttle body that's my issue as that's effectively at least 12psi which is then back feeding and pressurising my catch tank and the cam cover/top of the head.

More pics of other set-ups would be great ;)

Simon.

Thanks Pete, that's a big help. So does that go from the cam cover to the PCV then a pipe onto the catch tank which then vents to atmosphere Pete? You running a charger now?

Thinking about it and chatting to to a mate, I think it maybe the fact its taking a pipe from between the charger and throttle body that's my issue as that's effectively at least 12psi which is then back feeding and pressurising my catch tank and the cam cover/top of the head.

Simon.

Sure does mate. Running. Vortech V1 I'm installing at the moment. Stage 2. Nearly there now.

If I have any issues with fumes I will vent the catch tank under the car. Just don't want any oil deposits dripping venting straight to air without a can.

Simon.

I reckon that's your issue. I'm venting mine to atmosphere on my V1. Only get slight fumes if I'm sat still in traffic

• Solution

Thanks guys, I'm on Nights this weekend.

But managed to spend an hour or 2 looking over the car today, and playing with it. Blocked the hose from the inlet pipe between charger and throttle body first. (Hoping to source/make a pipe without this hole in it eventually once I know it runs ok) Have then run the Head cover breather through the catch can and then dumping from there to atmosphere as suggested. This seems to run a lot nicer so far. Planning on putting the PCV and associated pipes back on it, as have 2 brand new Genuine VW PCV's in the garage, then through the Catch can and to atmosphere to give it a more original look to it, as having that plug and small pipe dangling there has always bugged me! Hopefully that should sort all the issues. Sorry didn't get time to get pics as I needed to get to sleep!

Thanks again for all your help/pics.

Simon.