One cam or two? Oh, just the one for me, ta.

the 2 sets of cams control intake and exhaust (front and rear respectively) so if you just wanted to open up the intake a little longer then you would buy the intake cam, vice versa for the exhaust. but for best results get a set of tuned cams in a pair. much easier. theyre just available in singles as people try to tune their cars in different ways so it gives more options.

• 2 weeks later...

the 2 sets of cams control intake and exhaust (front and rear respectively) so if you just wanted to open up the intake a little longer then you would buy the intake cam' date=' vice versa for the exhaust. but for best results get a set of tuned cams in a pair. much easier. theyre just available in singles as people try to tune their cars in different ways so it gives more options.

[/quote']

Are you F"ING MAD?! You oughta watch out or read up before you go givin out advice.

The cams on a 12V DO NOT have one operating the intake valve and one operating the exhaust valve. The front cam controls intake and exhaust of cyls 2,4,6, while the rear cam controls intake and exhaust of 1, 3, and 5.

if you just replaced one cam you would have one bad running engine.

I think there is some confusion here between 12v and 24v VR engines.

On a 12v, the cams work like any traditional 12v V6 engine - one looks after inlet and exhaust for 1,3,5 and the other inlet and exhaust for 2,4,6.

On the 24v, one camshaft does inlet and the other exhaust, using a rather trick bit of head design.

This website explains it pretty well: http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/tech_engine_packaging.htm

steady on boosted one' date='we find being polite goes a long way over here in england, if you think someone has given the wrong information there are better ways of saying it!! if you can't be polite-fuck off somewhere else ! :P

[/quote']

ie fit in or fu err i mean go away lol

You could just have easily said 1 cam per bank people....it is a V6 after all.

The 24v is still DOCH, but 4 valve per cyl using some clever rocker arms techniques.

I can see where the DOHC confusion is coming from though.....something I have to remind myself about when working on the VR as my background is 16v.

Sorry to get yall's panties wadded up. I just get a lil riled up when people talk about something they don't know about as if they actually have a clue, without first saying "From what I understand", or "I think", etc.

If the thread starter was unfortunate enough to follow this guy's advice he would be at a loss as to why his car runs like ass. Uknown to him, it was because of what someone on the internet told him, and he must be right because he's got a high post count.

I have spent many many hours chasing problems that were caused by misinformation received on a forum by someone who wanted to resond just to hear himself talk or see his words on the screen. Probably someone who meant well, but, me at the time knowing nothing about the subject it looked like pretty good info, and since I didnt know I couldnt tell the poster was talking out of his rear. I see people giving advice all the time that will range from not working, to troubleshooting stuff that is a waste of time, to advice that would downright damage an engine/transmission if done. For instance, just today on another board a guy is askin if he should be worried about his chain guides at 80K. Some guy responds telling him that because of the price of fixing them, and because all that happens is little peices of the guide fall off and make noise, dont worry about it until the chain fails, then fix it. WTF kind of advice is that????

Well, I guess I will go "f-off". Its been grand.

Don't sweat it, it's Friday!

Yes misinformation is the biggest problem on any technical forum and I agree, people should really state things that are in their opinion as opposed to matter of fact but we're only human and learning to cohabit is a must. The thread was duly answered and the gentleman concerned now knows that the VR6 has 1 cam per bank of cylinders, getting all fired up in the middle of it like an angry school teacher achieves nothing but undue stress and bad feeling....

We are not the Vortex, we're easier going and more forgiving here you'll find. So you can either relax a little, share some of your knowledge and join in....or hover round the Vortex arguing. Your choice.

The guy was right. More allowance required imo. Would be a shame if the thread starter had gone to the trouble of changing one cam only to realise it wasn't the right thing to do. Thats one of the problems with forum postings and emails, no face to face communication. I think some people have been far harsher in their response to this guy than he ever was. It's a shame to lose an international visitor, a knowledgeable one at that.

Sorry to get yall's panties wadded up. I just get a lil riled up when people talk about something they don't know about as if they actually have a clue' date=' without first saying "From what I understand", or "I think", etc.

If the thread starter was unfortunate enough to follow this guy's advice he would be at a loss as to why his car runs like ass. Uknown to him, it was because of what someone on the internet told him, and he must be right because he's got a high post count.

I have spent many many hours chasing problems that were caused by misinformation received on a forum by someone who wanted to resond just to hear himself talk or see his words on the screen. Probably someone who meant well, but, me at the time knowing nothing about the subject it looked like pretty good info, and since I didnt know I couldnt tell the poster was talking out of his rear. I see people giving advice all the time that will range from not working, to troubleshooting stuff that is a waste of time, to advice that would downright damage an engine/transmission if done. For instance, just today on another board a guy is askin if he should be worried about his chain guides at 80K. Some guy responds telling him that because of the price of fixing them, and because all that happens is little peices of the guide fall off and make noise, dont worry about it until the chain fails, then fix it. WTF kind of advice is that????

Well, I guess I will go "f-off". Its been grand.

[/quote']

when i said fit in or f off i was jokin mate chill out ur more than welcome here and so r your opinions :D

Heh, Im not stressed or upset.

I guess for the most part I was just floored at how rediculous the post was, to which I typed what was really going through my mind, although abbreviated. I guess its a good thing I didnt really say what I was thinkin :)

As others here have reiterated boosted one- this is a really friendly forum, and although there was an incorrect reply it was easily corrected by yourself in the first instance, and im sure other people have learnt from this too :-) It may be frustrating sometimes but try to just point out the facts without performing a character assualt :-) Anyway mate, hello and welcome :-)