Making my Mk4 4-motion vr6 sound "more/better".

I have a Golf IV 4-motion with a vr6 engine.
I totally dig the sound, but I feel it lacks a bit of roar... I want it to sound justa bit more. More roar with a lower undertone.
Since I don't have any experience with changing mufflers I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on how to make it just a  bit louder. I don't want the straight pipe sound.. just a bit more than the original. What changes can I make to the exhaust system?

I am a bit of a newcomer so don't kill me :)

Do you have the standard airbox and filter?  Something like a BMC cda really changes the sound.

Everything is standard. I have just had the car for three weeks so I am kind of a newcomer to the vr6 world.

I haven't even thought of how different airboxes would change the sound, I have had my mind on the exhaust system but I shall absolutely check it out. Does the BMC CDA change the performance of the car aswell?

Edited by Morbid616

They say it does, but its nothing major, i think if you combine a few of the simple mods like exhaust, air filter etc you probably gain a little bit of power.

BMC is worthwhile if you are after a sound difference, you will notice the first time you put your foot down, and then after that you will constantly be doing it :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

They say it does, but its nothing major, i think if you combine a few of the simple mods like exhaust, air filter etc you probably gain a little bit of power.

BMC is worthwhile if you are after a sound difference, you will notice the first time you put your foot down, and then after that you will constantly be doing it :lol:

Thanks alot for the tip, I will be getting it soon! However, are you sure it fits my car?

The V6 4motion never seems to be included in the list of cars it fit...

Get the middle silencer removed the exhaust is restrictive on the centre section, decent map panel filter will see it about 230 bhp ft the price difference between these and 32s performance ain't massive difference, plus 4mo look "normal" lol

You mean this one? I've thought about removing that one actually, easy project at least. Will it make a huge difference?

• 3 months later...

I had one (v6 4mo mk4) as a R32 rep full kit, I remember it had a twin miltek exhaust sounded decent but then i de-catted it stuck on a filter and a remap... It had a lovely tinny raspy r32 sound just as u accelerate, i do have a clip but i cant upload, u will be impressed 

• 1 year later...
I had one (v6 4mo mk4) as a R32 rep full kit, I remember it had a twin miltek exhaust sounded decent but then i de-catted it stuck on a filter and a remap... It had a lovely tinny raspy r32 sound just as u accelerate, i do have a clip but i cant upload, u will be impressed 

Load ur clip onto YouTube and copy the link to here it'll pop up with the video
  • 1 month later...

I loved the sound of a Magnaflow catback I had on my old Mk3 VR6. Only problem was it was very heavy and kept banging under the car.

My current VR has a custom Longlfe which is just a pipe with the smallest silencer in it. It sounds OK but it's a bit boomy when accelerating. I lent it to my son to go on holiday with the kids and they all complained it was too loud!