Issues with ECM.. NEED HELP :(

I recently bought a 99 vr6 and notice that when traveling on the highway the RPMs stay at 4000 despite me cruising in 5th gear. The person I bought it from didn't say anything about a new ECU so I am wondering if this in normal with the stock ECU. If not I would like to replace this one with the stock ECU to get some better fuel economy. Constant 4000 RMP isn't exactly a gas saver.

Thanks alot

Its a 1999 5 speed jetta VR6 (GLS I believe). I bought it used a few weeks ago.

But what I'm saying is that at cruising speed (say 65mph or 70mph in 5th gear on the highway) the motor remains at 4000 rpm. I don't think it's a matter of the gauge being broken because I can hear how high it's revving. And I feel like that is a lot of strain on the motor. Especially when traveling like that for an hour or two.

So that's why I wasn't sure about whether it was an ECU issue not.... But it makes sense what was said about the transmission gears being larger and requiring higher rpm to maintain that speed. It just seems strange that this problem even exists.

Could a new tranny be the solution?

This is my First Volkswagen and the first time I've experienced this so bear with me.

Thanks for your help guys.

Edited by evanfred