Turbo Build

I want 400-500 bhp for now and just want to run the 02a gearbox for now untill a later date when i decide to do an 02m swap, Im not really too fussed on driveability that much clutch wise , how much roughly would it cost to treat the gears as I dont mind spending a bit but there is a limit , any advice I will gladly take on board, thank you all :)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wouldn't really make a difference in "strength" per se, maybe ratio at torque level v's rpm. If you want longevity, I would literally think of it this way; 1. "Is my gearbox in good condition?" -

Time to start taking out the engine After a few days i finally got the engine out

Right, been busy recently as I have finally gotten a job and time for an update on the build, I have just bought Ky's 3.0 Litre block with forged pistons , turbo manifold and ht leads, Ive ordered a s

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JakeP said:

I want 400-500 bhp for now and just want to run the 02a gearbox for now untill a later date when i decide to do an 02m swap, Im not really too fussed on driveability that much clutch wise , how much roughly would it cost to treat the gears as I dont mind spending a bit but there is a limit , any advice I will gladly take on board, thank you all :)

Err, I used to use frozen solid above but been a while - they'll give you a quote dep on cogs/parts, if they have to strip box etc - used to have the details on their sites but it seems to have changed now - factor a couple of hundred I suppose sending them cogs n shafts. Few years though.

Ask them what they charge for stripping box and see if they can check the state of your parts. Just because the stock box is taking 200lb/ft doesn't mean it'll blow the first time you put it at 400lb/ft - you can only tell for sure if you strip it and look at it plus cryo/heat treatment is about toughening - if tolerances are too out/parts too worn then it affects the stresses which equals damage.

Point I am trying to make is things like this;

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fulcrum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_(mechanics)

Do this - put your hands together fingers in between fingers - however put them so the tips of your fingers are essentially touching the base of the others - the end of your palm where your fingers stick out from and pull them apart - easy right. Now interlock them properly like you're going to crack your knuckles and try - much harder! Due to mechanics the stresses they can now take are far more yet the stresses remain the same - it's the way to think in tuning really.

That being said, use your stock box and slap and LSD/ATB on but it'll give more stresses due to increased grip. "Will my box hold up?" - No idea, not looked at it! But if you want strength and reliability lots to think about and can cost! Ways to sort it like treatment but if the base isn't up to scratch then even these techniques, as much as they help, will not be a "be all and end all" answer without doing everything else!

Another simple way to think of it - the fingers technique and this pic - now imagine if there were no gaps, the additional stresses they could take - same goes for your gearbox and the too vague "will it hold up?" questions. No-one can really say for sure due to many reasons but there are ways to go about protecting components and depends on your budget really!

http://static.flavors.me/dynamic_images/custom/3be35abdd35d4a54b33edc7c3b48f005

Same with the 02m and some gearbox pro's now offering two strengthening parts for two different shafts - mechanics and torsional stresses - in that case with the 02M on two different planes due to multi-shafts

Edited by RBPE
2 hours ago, JakeP said:

Image1461783864.210524.jpg

So Kys 3.0 block with forged Pistons ht leads and turbo manifold came as well as more goodies ! Zrp rods , 630 injectors , Mocal oil cooler , short runner intake came today as well ! emoji2.png

Bloody hell, didn't know we were giving away free 3.0 engine blocks with our lanyards now !

Hi, got my 02M install booked in at the Phirm for next year. slightly different as mine is 4x4.

imho - i wouldnt waste the money strengthening the 02A not if your going 02M, 

02A - LSD £650+, BOLT kit for diff £80, new bearings £100, plus the cost of the cryo and labour and good clutch 350+

build it, run low boost then convert to 02M after running it in.

02M swap needs the gearbox mount cut from subframe and moved. 

here is a good link - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2633108-quot-02m-o2m-6-speed-into-mk3-12v-VR6-(Pictures-Fixed)

good luck

s

Fuck loots like alot of work but I do want a 02M... The gearbox is the only situation that I am not sure what im going to do, RBPE has given me many ways I could go with treating the gears for the 02A etc etc so theres lots to choose and think about 

On 4/30/2016 at 3:59 PM, JakeP said:

Fuck loots like alot of work but I do want a 02M... The gearbox is the only situation that I am not sure what im going to do, RBPE has given me many ways I could go with treating the gears for the 02A etc etc so theres lots to choose and think about 

There was some good info on the page about the strengthening of the 5th/6th planes somewhere here;

https://de-de.facebook.com/doc.drehmoment.official/

spoke to a guy here yesterday

http://www.akstuning.co.uk/

to up-rate the shift forks, strengthen the input shaft add the shaft support, change some bearings but not including any synchros or gear replacements

£750 inc labour, which i didnt think was bad.

also getting a price from Mart (HotGolf) who is a legend, i will post that when it comes in as well.

Edited by ssaunders

Schimmel 263 cams , timing chain kit and full performance bearing set came yesterday and only thing left to get is my arp main studs on their way and can get the block put together then put the head together :) will post updates soon when it's all built

Right Ive been thinking a bit and as im not getting the crank balanced, because i cant find anyone to do it and will probably cost alot, I was thinking of getting a fluidampr for the vr6, would that be a good shout? The pulley that came off an engine I had bought previously seems to have an early version of the pulley and looks nothing like the one that is on the engine from my car...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Little update on the build... my engine builder was putting the wossner pistons in and hes cracked one of the rings.... how do I get hold of a set of wossner rings for the 82.5mm pistons? Getting rather annoyed as its been around a month and a half and hes only now started to build it and now hes cracked a ring :/, any advice on where to get a set?