Turbo Build

Hi guys, soon I will be starting my turbo build and I would like to hear any comments on what parts you guys suggest from experience, Its going to be a 3k+ build because It will be a year + project, Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, First thing I have to do is source an engine and freshen it up with new piston rings valve stem seals etc etc and give it a good ol' rebuild and do as much of the turbo work I can out of the engine because i am currently still using my car so cant be building on my daily! 

As soon as Ive gotten an engine I will be posting whenever I can over a long period showing you my progress! Any advice on turbos, manifolds, injectors etc etc would be great!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wouldn't really make a difference in "strength" per se, maybe ratio at torque level v's rpm. If you want longevity, I would literally think of it this way; 1. "Is my gearbox in good condition?" -

Time to start taking out the engine After a few days i finally got the engine out

Right, been busy recently as I have finally gotten a job and time for an update on the build, I have just bought Ky's 3.0 Litre block with forged pistons , turbo manifold and ht leads, Ive ordered a s

Posted Images

Read my build thread here http://www.vr6oc.com/forum/topic/46794-v6-4motion-turbo-build-thread/

Granted it's a 24v engine but most of the ideas and fabrication is the same between all vr6 engines. I'm using a Garrett GT3582R ball bearing turbo with a .82 AR exhaust housing. In a high gear I can get full boost right around 3k rpm and doesn't run out of puff at high rpm.

I believe that some people go for some of the newer technology turbos like the Borg Warner EFR range of some other brands with billet compressor wheels, but I think it's a fantastic turbo for our engines. I'm still on stock connecting rods and pistons so it'll do everything I want to and more 

From the information in my build thread you can see what I've brought for the turbo conversion, and I believe I am under £4k and under £6k including the cost of the car. Just to give you an idea on costs. Obviously I have done every piece of labour and fab work on the car which is how I have managed to keep costs down 

• 1 month later...

Managed to get my hand on an OBD1 engine which I will be converting to OBD2 , started to strip it all down to rebuild the head and replace anything on the way , here's what I've been up to and have done the past 2 days since getting the engine

55cef51ad18eca70006fc6915bf9110a.jpg

215779e8f98cc4b5f8a7df9a7319a4f2.jpg

3dfa121d10a6516049eeeaba206345fb.jpg

27e20171df184c070f988d31d6b3b16a.jpg

Will be giving an update on anything that i do

Edited by JakeP
  • 3 months later...

After a tough few months of money problems the build had to be put on hold and I had to take the vr6 off the road as it was too expensive to drive as a daily but now I am starting to get on my feet and have been busy with the golf ...

Right , just pulled the head off and inspected the block , pretty fucked lol so I will be using another block I have had stored away , I need some advice if anyone could help me , the car is an obd1 with a coil pack , basically I want to convert it to an obd2 to turbo it , what exactly do I need to convert it as I want to start gathering the parts required , thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Right, been busy recently as I have finally gotten a job and time for an update on the build, I have just bought Ky's 3.0 Litre block with forged pistons , turbo manifold and ht leads, Ive ordered a short runner intake, exhaust valves, 630 cc injectors, mocal oil cooler, and just bought UM pro maf and tial wastegate off black dubs.... Now what rods to get, anyone got any ideas on good forged rods to buy to fit the 3.0 litre block?

And here is the block and pistons that will be on its way monday :D

Edit: ZRP con rods bought now just waiting for it all to turn up and get on with it :D

13023185_10156724407360567_1475199694_n.jpg

Edited by JakeP
12 minutes ago, JakeP said:

I think I'm going for the Garret GT3582R with a 1.06 ar for a later spool to help the gearbox haha , what bearings are a good buy? Seeing as ive got time want to try and make it right and put some decent main and big ends on it, any suggestions?

You know, i'm not convinced that the ar makes that much of a difference on box breaking, the math/physics doesn't add up. Shock of slip to grip exerts far more force and modulation of that force would be better and on things like an 02M there are angular aspects to take note of. 02A and the like it's when it grips 4th/5th usually and that can depend on boost level, tyres, turbo bearing system etc. There's also material used as stock, the degree of heat treatment or hairline fractures of your stock box etc hence cryo treatments - there are far too many things to do with the box/drivetrain that explain breakages than turbo ar ratio in my opinion!

I think 034 did coated bearings, no reason you can't get stock and have a coater do the same I suppose but that's about slippage and thermal load protections - engine dependent of course but again - thermal loads can be lessened with such coatings and slippage could as easily be a worn engine or a poor engine builder using bad tolerances!

Not sure with bearings dude as I havent touched the bottom end. If your going the full hog a nice little mod would also be to fit the mk5 R32 sump, oil pump and pick up from the BUB or BDB engine. If you throw it into corners hard quite regularly. It has plastic inserts which act as windage and surge baffles. Works a treat and bolts right onto any 12 or 24V VR6 engine.

The MK5 sump sits slightly above the subframe wishbone bolts, so in theory the s/frame should kiss the ground first.

Just something for you to think about pal. Not sure on what turbo yet but quite like the precision for reliability. What box and clutch are you going with?

I will keep that in mind,  thanks! And haven't yet finally decided to do about the gearbox, either rebuild the 02A with LSD and maybe diesel 5th or something or maybe convert to an 02M, the clutch I will probably have to go with a stage 3 or something, any heads up on any clutches that people have used in previous builds and have been ok driving wise would be great!

Wouldn't really make a difference in "strength" per se, maybe ratio at torque level v's rpm. If you want longevity, I would literally think of it this way;

1. "Is my gearbox in good condition?" - are the teeth worn too much? Can someone or you do a check on the state of your box? Using perhaps dyes or other such techniques? A poor base means a bad start!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_particle_inspection

http://www.rlengines.com/Web_Pages/Magnafluxing.html

2. "Can I afford someone to modify the strength of my box?" - if so, how? Assuming it's too expensive to manufacture your own box/cogs, what about heat treatment, even though your stock box has gone through thousands of heating and cooling cycles in it's life. Will heat treatment or cryo freezing be a wise idea....can I afford it?

I all honesty, it's not covering the basics that costs people the most money, stock boxes are usually rated to 200-250lb/ft from the factory but 02M's can do 700+lb/ft or 02A's 500+, depends if the basics are covered!

3. Clutches - what boost you looking at, what can you put up with for a daily in terms of pedal feel/grippy/noise, cost etc? If you go aftermarket that can clamp these massive increases in torque under FI then are the teeth in the box as new as stated earlier - if not will they shred due to gaps?

Point is - you can take a risk with your box, even buy 2/3 pretty cheap to replace, but if you are spending money, you have to think about the basics, it is what destroys parts. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_barrier_coating

http://www.zircotec.com/

http://www.frozensolid.co.uk/

"No point putting a bucket under a leaky roof, fix the roof itself!"