Mk3 Golf VR6 Van In The Making

Hey guys, My names Matt and I'm from Greenhithe in Kent.

I've been a member for a few years now I use to own a mk3 that I carried out a vr6 conversion on seen in picture below.

But I had a little boy 4 years ago that forced sale and that always left a whole in my heart that needed filling.

post-89635-0-96675400-1441100644_thumb.j

Well after meeting member djiceman, and introducing him to the world of mk3 VR6's, he brought one and had me do all the work on it, then he got a mk2 and used the mk3 for his donor car. After all the works have been completed, there was this sad looking mk3 shell left on my aunts drive that needed love.

After many failed attempts of collections for the scrapyard, I see this as a sign. After getting permission from the Wife (BOSS) if I was aloud another Mk3, well turns out I was aloud :D  :D . So here's how she looks at the moment,

post-89635-0-26562300-1441100450_thumb.j

post-89635-0-27100900-1441100465_thumb.j

post-89635-0-36119800-1441100481_thumb.j

I will be carrying out a complete strip down of the car(not a lot to do as there's not much left of it).

Already have a vr6 engine that I will be stripping down to the bare bones.

Here is how far I got last night with emptying the crap out of it, trying to find bits that can be used.

post-89635-0-18123100-1441100538_thumb.j

post-89635-0-89540100-1441100554_thumb.j

This will be a slow moving project, not planning on getting on the road this side of Christmas.

But I am thinking of going mad with loads of fabrication works. will see what I decide.

Sorry for the bad photo's, they was taken on my crappy phone.

Thanks for reading.

welcome your comments.

• 2 weeks later...

After deciding the route I wanted to take the mk3. At first was thinking a pick up, but really needed a estate for this. Then I looked at buying a flat bed from a different car to then fit on the mk3. But decidied that was to much work.

I then came up with the idea of a van, as I really like the astra vans etc.. As this was a 5 door it gave me the small front door's that I needed just needed to decide how I wanted the rear panels to look. First I was thinking of welding up the rear windows and smoothing the whole back out but 1. That's a lot of filler that could crack and 2. would look silly in IMO. So I then came up with the idea of cutting the rear section of the rear door and then welding this at the back of the rear quarter. Crazy you may think. Maybe it is but I hope it will look quite cool and different as the only Golf vans I could find are the 3 doors with metal for the rear windows and I wasn't crazy about that idea.

So first I mocked it up with some cardboard to see how it will look.

post-89635-0-18058000-1442308041_thumb.j

Happy with this I then started with removing the rear windows and bits with it. These will be in the forsale section soon if anyone needs replacement glass or mechanism's.

post-89635-0-85637500-1442308122_thumb.j

Once this was removed I then set about marking out the rear quarter.

post-89635-0-13949800-1442308166_thumb.j

Now marked out I took the grinder to the rear quarter and door, then offered it in place to see how it looked.

post-89635-0-01958800-1442308255_thumb.j

Once I was happy, I tac welded it in place. I was using a old arc welded that my step dad lent me. I'm going to order a mig welded as this will be much better with all the fabrication that's required.

post-89635-0-88292200-1442308344_thumb.j

I will be ordering a sheet of metal once I'm happy with the layout. this will give the van panel look that I'm after.

More updates to come soon.

CRAZY BOY!

I like this shit keep up the good work chap!!

I know Dave, but the car didn't cost me anything, if it doesn't work I will scrap it and start again lol.

But I'm hoping for this to work as I really like the idea of it.

Colour wise I'm thinking a Matte White with gloss black roof maybe?

The engine bay will be a completely different colour like a gloss blue. With the inside I will be cutting off all the bits that are not needed, like rear seat mounts etc.

Then I may cage it, not really sure yet.

Hoping this weekend to finish one side of the van, ready for a sheet of metal to be welded in for the rear panel. Then I can make a start on the other side.

I still need to make a trip to the dump to get rid of all the old crap that was inside the car when I took it on.

• 2 weeks later...

I visited the car the weekend, didn't get much done. found myself chasing holes when welding with the arc. so going to try and get a mig welder.

Sorry no pictures.

Also looks like I will be moving house in the next month or so. new house has large drive and rear access where I'm going to build a carport.

So progress will be slow or a little while then once things are sorted at the new place I will try and attempt to move the car to new house then progress will speed right up hopefully.

Any body have any ideas on how to move a shell lol.