Dave's Mystic Blue VR6 History & Future Build Thread R660 TUJ

So as this one has stayed in my life for longer than 12 months I have decided to do a little diary or thread to keep track of what's been done and what will be done going forward.

I bought her back in 2012 from a fellow member.  Pretty standard apart from the Vento front end.  I must admit I wasn't a massive fan until I owned one and it seriously grew on me, also R32 312mm brake set up and mk4 alloy rear calipers and custom exhaust.  Braided hoses & fuel lines.  She had 78K on the clock when I picked her up and bags of history.  Every penny accounted for.  Rob is pretty particular about such things, plus no expense was spared.

How she was:

03.jpg

DSCF1147.jpg

I wasn't really in the market for the car but with knowing its history and Rob being a customer of ours for so long.  Plus the price he offered me it I couldn't refuse her.  Given this it was pretty much unused for a long time.

Next thing for me was a decent detail and after replacing the indicators on two occasions they still kept taking on water.  So I replaced those with some smoked ones.  Broke out the 2 stage polish and tape and gave her a good correcting.

IMG_1832_zps226df249.jpg

279cce57-01b3-4d63-94fb-4786b371f85b_zps

Ignore the bra.... Did more damage than good

Edited by Dave_ciw
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not been much to report lately.  Got my oil feed and drain lines sorted.  Had all my engine bits back from the powder coaters so I can start putting everything back together!   Had my Brembo calipers

Got my carpets back in today. Like new to say the least. Really happy with how they turned out. Popped door are and seats back in. Took her for a test drives and things seem to be good. Just nee

So had the donor car delivered straight away and started stripping it!   Then Michael turned up to return my Ross Tech cable he stole and he left with half the engine bits.  As it turns out he bought

Posted Images

After that she pretty much sat on the drive or locked away for around 18 months.  I don't think this did the car any favours at all to be honest.  However she did fit in with the rest of our cars rather nicely!

G_zpsfcqoaz46.jpg

After cleaning the car a few times I noticed small amounts of rust etc arches wings and such so decided a respray was in order.  I tried none original wings and they failed looked like shite.  However I have seen how these can be fitted to a top notch standard since.  So my views have changed.  However I paid a small fortune for genuine.

This was her all prepped waiting to go to the painters for them to do the easy bit!!

H_zpspddehr9m.jpg

Then this is here delivered back a few days later

I_zpstnwlqaeb.jpg

I spent a fair few days rebuilding her and had the bug again....  This soon wore off as I had a bloody wedding to pay for!

I struggled on with her for a few months hardly driving it at all.  Was so pissed off I still had a massive panel gap between the wing and the door!  Even though I shelled out a few quid for genuine and that sort of thing would drive me simple.  Especially as I like to spent hours / days detailing the car and looking at it would put my head away.

Less importantly, Wedding time had arrived and this was back home in Belfast:-

r_zpsrsms2t3g.jpg

Decided to use her as my wedding car and that was fun getting myself and the best man to church on time  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

However the day before the wedding I was due to finalise the last details at the Clarion in Carrickfergus with my soon to be wife.  What she didn't know is I had other plans.  Pulled up opened the door and said on you go I need to go see a pal.....

That mate was Gethin Evans, so a quick trip up the coast and I was there.  Not 10 minutes later I was in the passenger seat of what is without a doubt the fastest thing I have been in to date.  Then it was 518BHP from his 24V turbo Monster.....

That was me given up on my car!!!!

Got home from our Honeymoon and started buying bits for forced induction.  Car in the workshop and in pieces.

E_zpsmiboh1gr.jpg

After doing extensive work it was summer again and I wanted the car back!!  So basically undid all the hard work and rebuilt the car ready for MOT..

Got the car back on the road and sorted in serious need of a service!  However decided to join the club at the rolling road day in stealth...

She made 193BHP with 186lb torque nothing more than a Ram air inductions kit & custom exhaust..... They commented on the engine saying she was one of the best they had seen in a while and a great basis to build on so I was chuffed! 

F_zpshogvamgm.jpg

That Noise though

And then.....

So that was it pretty much locked away for another few months until I couldn't take looking at the panel gap any longer!  Got her out and into another body shop had stone chips, bonnet and bumper all done again and the wings repositioned correctly. 

When I got her back I noticed a little orange peel on the bottom of the rear quarters.  Well I knew it was there from it was painted.  However it had taken until now to piss me off enough to address it:-

2000-2500-3000 Wet and dry

Followed by wool pad, cutting sponge pad then finishing pad.

I started with the poorboys 3 stage polish kit as the two stage has always worked well for my but I am not a professional detailer and with my skills I was struggling to achieve the finish I wanted.  So after a quick chat with Stevie Black from Black Magic Detail I ordered some menzerna!  Christ what a difference:-

A1_zpsy6twyyhf.png

A2_zpseuf8ojbf.png

Worrying times /|\  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

But I managed it in the end!

A3_zpsgjzizkfo.png

And then!

Mothers day was cancelled as a chap from Northern Ireland was selling a Phase 1 Vento grill and he was attending Ultimate Dubs.  This meant two days before explaining to the wife that it was no longer her day!  #NOTFUN Attended the show had a chat with old mates.  Secured some rare spark plugs for the Ulster boys who did a head gasket replacement at the services on the M54 all and all an eventful day.

Got invited to Just Dubs monthly meet in Leeds and they get 100s of attendees monthly from all VAG walks of life.  Worth a look on facebook really friendly family run group.  So popped along:-

472b6627-df08-4b2e-a62b-a88fb3821bfd_zps

Realised that she needed lowering.  Something I should of addressed a long time ago.  So these where bought. (pinched pic off google as I deleted mine lol so don't say Oi thats my carpet haha)

Q_zps7yyaxyem.jpg

Got invited to their annual show and I will be hosting a club stand here next year.  Two day event absolutely huge and I would like to win the club stand trophy so bring your A game people and be ready for show season next year!

I decided to enter the show and shine and after seeing what was there I felt really out of my league.  Tried to leave before the awards ceremony but the wife was having none of it.  Got called up for "Runner Up" in Best 90s Water Cooled in show.  Only to get up their to be told they had made a terrible mistake.  She wasn't runner up but rather best in show.  The hard work and effort paid off prepping her.  I put it down to Stevie Blacks waxes they are second to none!  

This is a one off piston pot of his Sirius Dark edition wax.  I can't say how much this was as my wife is a member on here..

A4_zpsunqwkzxr.jpg

The ladies doing their thing!

J_zps99zenhug.jpg

K_zpsygepbwap.jpg

A5_zpsif1uisi3.jpg

Promoting with my hoody

A6_zpsfu3xzgof.jpg

A7_zpshshmj0vh.jpg

AND Then:-

Got a taste for the shows again, hit the forum and started promoting.  Booked my place at tatton spent a week getting the car ready and on the way there my gearbox shat itself.  Not good times made it 10 minutes from the venue annol hahaha.  Had to get one of my lads to transport us home. 

Damaged gearbox family Selfie

N_zpsjf0fx7gm.jpg

Got home so pissed off early morning start long day in services waiting was absolutely shattered.  Fell asleep on the sofa for a few hours woke and and decided to go strip the car.  I knew given my history if I didn't start work on her straight away I would scrap the bitch and buy something else.

O_zpsgsf0nx6t.jpg

Gearbox out!

Got a bit of info from Micky about fitting a diesel 5th gear into a V5 box.  As we use to be a VW dismantlers up until recently I still had V5 boxes and diesel boxes on the shelf so I though F**K it why not I have Leeds VW festival in two weeks hahaha.

So managed to do that simple enough with guidance.  Anyone wanting to do it take it on yourself is pretty simple.  Just remember to drill the starter motor bolt hole a little larger!  If your planning on going forced induction I wouldn't recommend this gearing though.

S_zpsqfft0are.jpg

As this is the plan for me for the future I bought Sounders dragon green MK3 as a donor car.  Gearbox was refurbed with diesel final drive.  Was also a few other tasty bits on the engine.

Managed to make it to Leeds!

It was an awesome day and the stand looked great!

g_zps88ju7jvv.jpg

a_zpsjg7mqbhr.jpg

q_zpszwnthqyl.jpg

and then

So had the donor car delivered straight away and started stripping it!

Then Michael turned up to return my Ross Tech cable he stole and he left with half the engine bits.  As it turns out he bought a car without any bits on it for a small fortune  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  I heard it was a rolling shell with no wheels  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  (JOKE MIKE ITS COOL)

P_zps0l0dauqa.jpg

However got to the bits I wanted as the car sounded great by the way!

Slimming World Flywheel This thing is crazy light:-

M_zpsh1cai9rg.jpg

Engine on stand ready for ARP bolt gear, gasket, spacer plate and we are good to go.  Waiting for delivery of bolts and gasket 630 injectors and a fuel pump the same as Benny's which he didn't know comes with a lifetime warranty....  Bonus dude..

L_zpskxexkkwj.jpg

This is pretty much where I am at now...  I am sure I have left loads of shit out but who cares its not a witness statement and nobody's life depends on it.  Some stuff may be mixed up as I have just dumped 4 years of ownership into a few posts.......

Thanks for popping in! B)

Dave, what happened to the other half of your build thread?!

Good right up fella and a very nice car, must be worth the hard work and expense once the trophies start coming!

Look forward to our next full OC club stand!

Cheers bud, yes me to full stands make the club show a bit of force again.

Never really do a thread hahaha its all or nothing with me like....  Hopefully I will keep on top of this one  :P  ;)

Mine is my first build thread, it's great to have a flick through now and again as I forget half of the stuff I've done to it sometimes!

Yeah don't normally go in for it as I don't keep them long enough however I have with this one so time to document some of the shit lol.

Usually do Facebook but trying to pull away from it and get back to the forum. It's so much better IMO.

I ordered that pump today and got them to add a listing for 6 injectors. So I may call on you come fitment time bud.

So had the donor car delivered straight away and started stripping it!

Then Michael turned up to return my Ross Tech cable he stole and he left with half the engine bits. As it turns out he bought a car without any bits on it for a small fortune :lol::lol::lol: I heard it was a rolling shell with no wheels :blink::blink::blink::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: (JOKE MIKE ITS COOL)

P_zps0l0dauqa.jpg

However got to the bits I wanted as the car sounded great by the way!

Slimming World Flywheel This thing is crazy light:-

M_zpsh1cai9rg.jpg

Engine on stand ready for ARP bolt gear, gasket, spacer plate and we are good to go. Waiting for delivery of bolts and gasket 630 injectors and a fuel pump the same as Benny's which he didn't know comes with a lifetime warranty.... Bonus dude..

L_zpskxexkkwj.jpg

This is pretty much where I am at now... I am sure I have left loads of shit out but who cares its not a witness statement and nobody's life depends on it. Some stuff may be mixed up as I have just dumped 4 years of ownership into a few posts.......

Thanks for popping in! B)

e86a84526e131562bed0c32f0da88410.jpg Your picture just answered my question thanks Dave, now I need another tool to remove the clutch lol Edited by ky_uk
  • 2 weeks later...

prestige%202015_zpsb73cv1t8.jpg

Club stand at prestige!  I am in the middle somewhere was an absolutely sh**e day both weather wise and organisation wise...  Which was handy as I only jet washed her off the day before, that and the drive down made her far from show ready!

Was good to catch up with Carl and Lee who was on a club stand just opposite!

Well had a few things arrive over the last few days!  Still waiting on my Victor Reinz head gasket had to order that from Germany.  Stealth had none in stock but where carrying the elring one.  However I was wanting the other as apparently its better quality!This is the main thing slowing me down.  

DSCN0076_zpsnpulgckv.jpg

As you can see I opted for the quantum FP fuel pump.  £80 delivered and comes with a lifetime warranty boasts some good figures and with a little modification fits pretty snug to!

Decided to pull the fuel sender from the donor car I bought from Saunders this proved to be a little more difficult than I though as there was tons of sealing tape stuck over it hahaha

DSCN0046_zpsxmdbkchq.jpg

Will add a bit of a how to when I get a minute!

Considering a Borg Warner S200SX Turbo with a 0.83 ar.  I think this is more than enough for the 350BHP area I want to be hitting.  Its equivalent to a GT30 or in that area.  Am I right in thinking if I am building this and going for a custom RR map to suit my modifications I don't need the 4" MAF.  Or do I still need it regardless?

Thanks for popping in!

Well had a few things arrive over the last few days! Still waiting on my Victor Reinz head gasket had to order that from Germany. Stealth had none in stock but where carrying the elring one. However I was wanting the other as apparently its better quality!This is the main thing slowing me down.

DSCN0076_zpsnpulgckv.jpg

As you can see I opted for the quantum FP fuel pump. £80 delivered and comes with a lifetime warranty boasts some good figures and with a little modification fits pretty snug to!

Decided to pull the fuel sender from the donor car I bought from Saunders this proved to be a little more difficult than I though as there was tons of sealing tape stuck over it hahaha

DSCN0046_zpsxmdbkchq.jpg

Will add a bit of a how to when I get a minute!

Considering a Borg Warner S200SX Turbo with a 0.83 ar. I think this is more than enough for the 350BHP area I want to be hitting. Its equivalent to a GT30 or in that area. Am I right in thinking if I am building this and going for a custom RR map to suit my modifications I don't need the 4" MAF. Or do I still need it regardless?

Thanks for popping in!

I need all of this also, do you have links if you do pm me them please.

Thanks Dave you would save me a few hour trawling the net looking for the head studs and pump, is the gasket you got a low compression one ? I have seen some on eBay for £100 but not sure I wanna risk a eBay special for the time to fix if it goes wrong.

Pictured is a spacer plate to reduce compression chap.  Then you get a Victor Reinz head gasket as it a multi layer.  So you can split the gasket and sandwich the spacer plate in the middle job done!  There is an Elring version of the head gasket that is also a multi layer unit.  They are around £30-£40 cheaper.  However it has been reported they eventually leak.

I will get all the links PM'd to you today fella.

Well my VW Cam tool arrived in the post today so I thought I would whip the head of this engine.  Its all down to this weather or not I can carry on.  Needless to say she was fine inside no scores or marks to any of the bores so happy days onwards & upwards!

Still waiting the Victor Reinz but its due Monday so once that's here everything goes back together!  Also fitted ARPs today!

DSCN0098_zpspfbqqwe3.jpg

DSCN0099_zpsyhi3thla.jpg

DSCN0100_zpsf1aiwuht.jpg

Will be keen to get the car in the workshop haha!

Thanks for popping in people....