looking for somebadvice

Recently got my mk2 golf with the vr6 in it, tried to change the tax at the post office but couldn't, so had to tax it as a 1.3 ( what it used to be before I got it ) I'm looking to get the correct tax on it dvla has stated that they require a engineers report for the car, is there anything else I need to do, want the car fully legal?

My honest opinion is what a cracking deal so if it's taxed as a 1.3 and your v5 says 1.3 then you can insure it as a 1.3 but that's old school tricks I wouldn't recommend it but I can not influence your decision whatever your choice. I know a guy that ran a Scooby STI as a 2.0 WRX the fact is it looks good on ANPR but is you have a bang your in the cow pie!!!

Edited by ky_uk

My honest opinion is what a cracking deal so if it's taxed as a 1.3 and your v5 says 1.3 then you can insure it as a 1.3 but that's old school tricks I wouldn't recommend it but I can not influence your decision whatever your choice. I know a guy that ran a Scooby STI as a 2.0 WRX the fact is it looks good on ANPR but is you have a bang your in the cow pie!!!

Lol, it insured as a 2.8 through Adrian flux, I'm wanting to try and get it done as where I am there is a lot of modified cars and the police like to stop people do their normal checks and then look under the bonnet, they done that to me in the other golf I had a 1.3 carburettor and was called a winter check yet the went for the engine bay.

So in theory I go past a or get pulled by a police car and its still 1.3 on the v5 and they go under the bonnet in screwed no hiding the vr

As far as I know you can't change the tax band of a car, as long as the cars registered and insured correctly don't worry about it, I've had it before when trying to change vans to cars, when for example I put an interior and windows into a fiesta van they couldn't change it.

Thanks for your help, I was told by dvla that they need proof of purchase of the engine and the engine code and vin of the car, and a inspection report, but on direct gov it states that I only have to provide written proof if I have decreased the engine size or fuel type and well the vr I obviously more power and I havnt changed the fuel type, so long story short some places and people say one thing then other places and people say something different

• 2 weeks later...

Its dead easy mate, I did this a few months ago. My MK was still registered as a 1.8 but had a VR in it.

Take it to a local garage and ask them to inspect the car.

Then ask them to write a couple of lines on headed paper stating it has been fitted to a good standard and is safe etc..

Then stick a copy in an envelope with the V5, filled out with the engine capacity change, engine number etc, in the relevant section, then in about 4 weeks you will receive a new V5.

It's that simple.

Pretty sure taxation class wont change neither because of the age of the car.

Good luck