Yes it will have a gasket around it , you will need to drain it ( make sure the oil is warmed up ) , remove the cover , fit a new gasket , refit the cover, then refill it.

If you google gear box gasket & oil change you should get a step by step guide.

Edited by ER6

Yes it will have a gasket around it , you will need to drain it ( make sure the oil is warmed up ) , remove the cover , fit a new gasket , refit the cover, then refill it.

If you google gear box gasket & oil change you should get a step by step guide.

Thanks for the advice, because when I look at it there is a gap from the cover to the edge and I don't know if this is supposed to be like this as this is my first vr

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEARBOX-SUMP-GASKET-VW-Golf-Hatchback-VR6-MK-3-1992-1998-2-8L-174-BHP-Top-Ge-/201101210260

This is a gear box sump gasket ^ do you mean you can see a bit of gasket making it look like a gap ?

You need to check it's definatley from the gear box and not oil running onto it from else where then dripping onto the gear box.

Gear box oil will smell a lot stronger than engine oil.

Give it a good clean off and degrease to locate the sounce of the leak.

Good luck.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEARBOX-SUMP-GASKET-VW-Golf-Hatchback-VR6-MK-3-1992-1998-2-8L-174-BHP-Top-Ge-/201101210260

This is a gear box sump gasket ^ do you mean you can see a bit of gasket making it look like a gap ?

You need to check it's definatley from the gear box and not oil running onto it from else where then dripping onto the gear box.

Gear box oil will smell a lot stronger than engine oil.

Give it a good clean off and degrease to locate the sounce of the leak.

Good luck.

To me it looks like there is a gap where a seal should be right at the edges will try to take a picture, it is sadly coming from there cleaned the aria and the oil is still coming and it smells like gearbox oil it feckin stinks

It's a good thing it's coming from there , 2L of gear box oil & a gasket will cost no more than £30 + an hour on the spanners.

Could have been much worse :o

Well the car was bought as a shell then some friends and me worked on it, its not too bad considering its the first real time the engine and gearbox has run in a year