very true! burnt a hole through my wallet lol. but, i highly recommend the water pump, excellent quality and you can feel the difference in weight against the OE one.

looking forward to this coming together though. nice one!

I am just hoping I can have it ready before GTI fest!
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So now my HT leads fit my bonnet struts look quality I stole that idea from the guys at the tatton park show all plugs and injectors changed I now continue to wait for parts ps I can't wait to drive

Off the ground for the last time, the next time this touches the floor it will be drove to stealth!

White block finished spraying!!!!!!!

Posted Images

You know more than me I just was brainstorming and asked Vince and he said stick with the standard crank

Due to the VR design you get various stresses which can be increased using different sized components,so really sticking as close to factory development is usually a good idea but displacement, revs and boost are power increasing factors so are often done but you have to think about the additional stress such changes can bring. The VR's love boost and handle them well, just need to fine tune, strengthen and hone the reciprocating masses!

As for material,I looked into it a while back so can't quite remember but it was something like 4130 material was used as I was comparing it to the common 4340 specs of aftermarket parts, being an R car though they might have upgraded over most oem? Doubt it though for only 250hp!

Edited by RBPE

Due to the VR design you get various stresses which can be increased using different sized components,so really sticking as close to factory development is usually a good idea but displacement, revs and boost are power increasing factors so are often done but you have to think about the additional stress such changes can bring. The VR's love boost and handle them well, just need to fine tune, strengthen and hone the reciprocating masses!

As for material,I looked into it a while back so can't quite remember but it was something like 4130 material was used as I was comparing it to the common 4340 specs of aftermarket parts, being an R car though they might have upgraded over most oem? Doubt it though for only 250hp!

So what is your opinion on the standard crank running over 500bhp ?

Good job I can't see anything there that puts the final bill over about £200, go for it ky and tell your misses what a bargain it all was!

I am just waiting to get my block back once I know that's all sorted it's a go ahead and I will definitely be telling the misses it was all a bargain in fact I sourced it all off the forum and it was £200 lol

So what is your opinion on the standard crank running over 500bhp ?

Yeah stock crank can handle plenty if done properly, you're doing the right thing in getting it all properly checked before it's rebuilt, oem material always seem to have budgetary constraints, but places/people like x-parts/donkey tec/turbo impression show you what can be done.

Aftermarket engineering can get complex if you want to get technical, there's loads of funky new alloys about too nowadays and various things to consider really, was looking at an interesting report a couple of years ago regarding some new alu alloy for pistons and it was interesting that the 2618 pistons, the forged "rattly" ones due to expansion properties because of their superior strength/max heat resilience properties over the 4032 alloys, actually were affected by sustained temp's more. Went into detail on how the cycles were to replicate typical heat cycles of a daily engine by this company etc and how their new "R5" alloy, or whatever it was called, did this in the test which obviously trounced them both!

Point is, there's huge depth you can go into regarding proper engineering/tuning so you don't need to go overboard, a bad map could rip any new forged build to shreds and most oem parts like cranks will be the same to some degree due to mass production.

Not sure you mentioned it but you may also want to consider;

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Engine/Pulleys/Fluidampr-Engine-Damper-VR6.html

I have been looking into pulleys I have a separate thread about it but everyone swears blind the stock is best.

Depends if you're having it all balanced by the machine shop and the weight changes due to rods etc I suppose. Harmonics are a massive part of proper engine tuning but obviously there's a number of factors like if you are going to extend the rev range where they can get worse, oem single or dual mass and changes etc - I would use one on a decent/expensive build though.

Yeah stock crank can handle plenty if done properly, you're doing the right thing in getting it all properly checked before it's rebuilt, oem material always seem to have budgetary constraints, but places/people like x-parts/donkey tec/turbo impression show you what can be done.

Aftermarket engineering can get complex if you want to get technical, there's loads of funky new alloys about too nowadays and various things to consider really, was looking at an interesting report a couple of years ago regarding some new alu alloy for pistons and it was interesting that the 2618 pistons, the forged "rattly" ones due to expansion properties because of their superior strength/max heat resilience properties over the 4032 alloys, actually were affected by sustained temp's more. Went into detail on how the cycles were to replicate typical heat cycles of a daily engine by this company etc and how their new "R5" alloy, or whatever it was called, did this in the test which obviously trounced them both!

Point is, there's huge depth you can go into regarding proper engineering/tuning so you don't need to go overboard, a bad map could rip any new forged build to shreds and most oem parts like cranks will be the same to some degree due to mass production.

Not sure you mentioned it but you may also want to consider;

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Engine/Pulleys/Fluidampr-Engine-Damper-VR6.html

I have been looking at one very similar,

http://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/lshop%2Cshowdetail%2C17708%2Cen%2C1447964366-17708%2C1138132527.1138132739%2C21vr078%2C52%2CTshowrub--1138132527.1138132739%2C.htm

So it's a a choice between this and stock.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...