North west newbie having loads of fun...

Hi everyone , thought I'd say hi and Introuduce myself & the old girl ( shes called Old Dirty Bit£$ at the moment)

I'm Elliot and bought a low mile (ish 91k)  , short MOT , unmolested , orgional rims included , unloved obd1 VR6 back in late May , laquer peel , blue dash & interior (urgh) , little bit of rust but solid , engine pulled great , the usual niggles at 23 ... part of me was saying walk away the other part was telling me someone needs to save her.

So I handed over the cash , half way back to home the auxilary belt began squealing intermitently (seized tensioner pulley) then the fun really began , missfiring and running rich, I stoped a few times to let her rest and cool but before I made it home the invevitable happened and the belt snapped. No power steering , no water pump , no alternator , suffice to say she was going no where & I was not best pleased , luckily my mate who had run me to collect the car was folowing and gave me lift home.

Two days later a new tensioner pulley & belt had her running again and back home , abeit rough and rich.

Took her out to warm her up for an oil drop , one big missfire , stall , then nothing.

Went to get her towed , the tow ring was for the previous owners wifes BMW , oh how I really liked said previous owner by now.

A trip to the local scrapers came up trumps with only one mk3 golf having the jack kit intact , and a fresh(ish) scuttle tray , fag lighter , rear ash tray and loom tray clips for £20. I then towed it to my mechanics pen to find he didn't have an obd1 scanner conector.

Bought an VAG scanner from ebay with correct adaptor , seller was drop shipping from China pretending it was uk stock , waited over a week , bought another from a uk seller ( need a vag scanner anyone I now have two ?)

Then my mechanic (independant garage & good friend) suffered from a colapsed lung , leaving old dirty locked in the pen for another week.

Fault found last weekend , ordered crank sensor and coil , she lives , she's no MOT  "laughs" as its all I can do .

Up on the ramps and pre MOT inspection , she needs a new rear shock (2 monroe's gone on , sach are now discontinued , thanks to the uk drop sellers canceling my two attemted orders) 2 tyres , exhaust center box was shot , so bodged a gti one in till I find some stainless , couple of little bits but she should go through no worries.

A rear arch , sills , and a couple of drain holes will need sorting sooner than later , and a fresh tailgate. But

5 hours of wire brushing , crusting and undersealing should keep the worm at bay for a while.

So in a nutshell , were getting there ...post-95191-0-58666400-1436287084_thumb.j

Thanks mate , there's going to be quite a bit going on with her , looking for a GTI mot faliure for a full interior swap and a few parts.

I'm thinking a clean almost stock look with a few little touches , clear side repeaters , half clear rears , stainless system , probably back onto the BBS 15" , red strut braces , black samcos , maybe some highline leather or cloth recaros , eventualy smooth the aerials off , posibly the boot , new sills , rear arch , tidy up some drain holes then a lick of tornado red.

I can picture it now.

I'm in Rossendale Lancashire .

Sheep country ...

Edited by ER6

Haha.

I love your enthusiasm mate. Your plan sounds good. Keep us posted on your progress dude.

Maybe make a build thread of your progress and post it up.

And when it's all finished you could join us friendly lot at some shows.

You ain't a million miles away pal. I'm in Bolton. Just on the other side of the hill. Lol

Thanks , she should be back on the road next week & there is a trickle of parts in the post.

Fingers crossed this time next year she should be show worthy , most of the major work will be done over winter and she has a nice snug garage to live in now instead of braving the elements.

A build thread will be good as I would like to be able to show people how she's come round .

My mechanic told me you can't polish a turd , I said no , but you can roll it in glitter :rolleyes:

Thanks Pete I would love to see her on the stand at a show too B)

And thankyou Ingham , she's obd1 so a new Tesla coil was only £20 , and she's had two fresh monroes out back £45 ( eventually get a sports pack when I find one for the right price)

Got her warmed up Friday night , oil filter out , then a full drop (going to run her for a few miles then repeat but get the sump off too)

Welded up the drivers seat (cracked sub frame) , fitted a fresh dizzy , undid and untwisted one of the rear belts as it was at full extension , checked all the bulbs and dropped her for the MOT.

She passed with an emissions warning , need to get the fuel filter , plugs & HTs on asap.

Go on old dirty , need to get rid of the stock exhaust asap , the tin warble is not doing her justice.