I'm planning on making my car a 3.0L turbo tuning a L.S.D. So will be a stage 2 map running about 450 bhp.

Is this going to be wise on a front wheel drive car.

I have a genuine vr passat so going to keep with the 2.8 12v concidering how rare these cars are.

And I'm worried that there's going to be no traction.

Who's running big bhp and can tell me how there cars are running.

Thanks.

It's not going to be driven hard

Most of the time it's driven on the motorway and on weekends.

For example the last time it moved was Sunday evening from a 100 mile run.

Use a van daily for work. So it's a weekend toy really

• 2 weeks later...

Traction is a problem in the wet, even with a diff, but it's by no means unusable on the road.  Just have to be smooth with the throttle and roll into the boost rather than nailing in 1st and 2nd!  Having said that, 3rd & 4th and even 5th can break traction on the move if the torque curve is spikey.

I had my standard VR6 box rebuilt at 130K (new bearings, syncros etc) and then did a further 60K with a turbo and it survived just fine.  I was only putting 350lbft through it though + some mechanical sympathy.

Avoid nailing the gas on uneven road surfaces because it's the shock of regaining grip after a spin that tends to make the gears bald all of a sudden.

Traction is a problem in the wet, even with a diff, but it's by no means unusable on the road. Just have to be smooth with the throttle and roll into the boost rather than nailing in 1st and 2nd! Having said that, 3rd & 4th and even 5th can break traction on the move if the torque curve is spikey.

I had my standard VR6 box rebuilt at 130K (new bearings, syncros etc) and then did a further 60K with a turbo and it survived just fine. I was only putting 350lbft through it though + some mechanical sympathy.

Avoid nailing the gas on uneven road surfaces because it's the shock of regaining grip after a spin that tends to make the gears bald all of a sudden.

When I eventually do the turbo conversion I want a smooth map doing. I don't want it aggressive.

As it'll be a road car mostly.