Thought i would start a little build thread for my Golf vr6 to keep track of it.

Its a car which has been in the family since new so well aware of its history etc. It ended up in a sorry state, sat outside a college of further education for many years and was ready to be scrapped but i managed to get in there just before it made its way down there! 

Work so far includes:

Heater matrix

Both water pumps

Thermostat

Coolant hoses

Power steering pump 

Magnex exhaust sytem (CAT BACK)

Lambda sensor

Spark plugs 

Ht leads

Powerflex Rear beam bushes

Brake lines 

OEM Front hubs and bearings 

Rear shocks

Wiring looms re taped 

Timing chains

Throttle position sensor

plus loads more bits as this has been done over a couple of years!

Managed to get a leather interior for it at a bargain price.

Auto gearbox has also had replaced:

All cover gaskets 

Rebuilt valve body, cleaned solenoids and new wiring harness 

Oil strainer and ATF

Issues:

RUST!!

Im well aware the sills and some sections of floor pan need replacing

I have a spare tailgate which is mint but wrong colour

Currently being a student at university i'm waiting untill i get enough money together to get the highest quality job done on the bodywork.

post-90118-0-83797900-1432805079_thumb.j

post-90118-0-02382800-1432805106_thumb.j

post-90118-0-71945000-1432805120_thumb.j

post-90118-0-07302400-1432805139_thumb.j

Edited by rsweeney

Engine is coming out end next week for headgasket and cylinder head rebuild, will also be stripping the dashboard out to retrim the heater control flaps. Wishbone bushes are being replaced for the solid Audi TT versions. 

Few little bits i have got so far, BMC CDA is my other golf!

post-90118-0-58761100-1432805561_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Well engine and gearbox are out and on the stand, gearbox removed then engine stripped down.

Cylinder head off for skimming at machine shop , couple of extra parts ordered like sump gasket, oil filter, inlet temp sensor.

Headgasket was blowing on cylinder 1, not suprised with its condition !! Cam shafts and bearings all in good condition, Starting to think this may make a fairly noticeable difference to the performance

More pics to follow

Already bought a mk3 headgasket unfortunately ! But it's voctor reinz so should be good.

Starting to Question whether or not I should do piston rings aswell , it's not burning oil but the cylinders look polished and I want the engine to be spot on after this

• 1 year later...

long time no update, after some hard saving the body shell is finally in for its restoration. @bennyk was meant to be getting the job but with the logistics of me wanting to strip the car etc I had to use a body shop slightly closer to home! everything so far has been done myself excluding the repairs and paint.

Progress so far -  

I've fully stripped the shell (bar wiring looms which are tucked out the way)

Built a dolly for the shell to sit on for welding repairs and paint.

Subframes wheels etc have all been blasted and powder coated.

Headliner has been re-trimmed

To do - 

Ordering replacement parts (all plastic clips, brake lines, suspension bushes etc.)

Refit once shell and bodywork is complete.

I'll let the pictures do the talking! 

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0815 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0814 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0810 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0812 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_0813 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0832.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0837.JPG

IMG_0838.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

Unfortunately things aren't doing so well on the bodywork front.

Following suspicious inner sill repairs which, even after asking and supplying a camera didn't get photographed I'm at the stage where the main shell looks OK but at a closer look there's painted over rust , messy arch repairs which aren't even sealed, under seal which has been put on over thick mud - the list goes on. 

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1371.MOV

Edited by rsweeney
3 hours ago, rsweeney said:

Unfortunately things aren't doing so well on the bodywork front.

Following suspicious inner sill repairs which, even after asking and supplying a camera didn't get photographed I'm at the stage where the main shell looks OK but at a closer look there's painted over rust , messy arch repairs which aren't even sealed, under seal which has been put on over thick mud - the list goes on. 

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1371.MOV

Gutted. Sadly it would appear i'm in a slightly similar postion to yourself. Went to collect mine today after paint was done, could have cried. I could see sanding marks through the paint in various places, scratches on the fresh paintwork an even parts which had been cut straight through back to the undercoat through serious excessive buffing/compounding of paintwork. So I feel your pain.. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...