Does anyone know if I have to swap the ecu to fusebox harness? Or some harness from the ecu. Some say no, just the engine bay loom, some say yes?! Also does anyone have a wiring diagram for an obd2 loom for plug identification?

Does anyone know if I have to swap the ecu to fusebox harness? Or some harness from the ecu. Some say no, just the engine bay loom, some say yes?! Also does anyone have a wiring diagram for an obd2 loom for plug identification?

Yup fuse box to ECU, ECU to engine connector, and engine block loom.

I wrote a bit of a guide here:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?87250-VR6-OBD2-Harness-Adaptation&styleid=12

It's not as complicated as it sounds especially as you don't need to change the loom length on a golf.

Your main connectors for the fusebox to ECU loom are F,G1 and G2- the engine connectors, the S connector for wiper motor and some other connectors are also wound into the loom. On the thread there are pics of the OBD1 connectors (there aren't as many on the OBD2 loom) and a pdf showing which connectors aren't used and which to transfer. All in section "1-REMOVING THE OLD HARNESS".

Thanks for that! Really detailed write up. To say I'm confused and feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew is an understatement haha. I had in my mind it.would be a case of swapping over the plugs and it would be good to go.

I should really go down and have a look to see what I'm dealing with

Edited by Cooz93

Does anyone know the story with the different tensioner bolt? I know there's two different types, due to the two different chain/cover set ups.. But which one will I need if I'm keeping the original chain set up, which I believe is twin, and swapping the upper timing covered to one from an obd2 coil pack? Will the obd2 tensioner bolt work with the original twin chain set up?

Edited by Cooz93

They probably didn't. But as I'm going dizzy you coilpack I've changed mine. I've just seen bolts described as 'old style' and 'new style' so just assumed they swapped from obd1 to obd2. Part numbers might clear something up, cheers mate:)

OK, short answer is it's fine. They didn't change the cover when they changed the tensioner bolt.

Long answer is VW changed the timing chain cover 3 times:

For AAA engined cars between 1992 & 1994

You have cover part number 021109125A

covering chassis number / F >> 1H-PW160 000* / F >> 1H-PB030 000*
Or cover part number 021109127B
covering chassis number / F 1H-PW400 001>>* / F 1H-PB050 001>>*

For AAA engined cars between 1995 & 1996
You have cover part number 021109127B

For AAA engined cars between 1997 & 1998
You have cover part number 021109127B
covering engine number / M >> AAA 260 000*
Or cover part number 021109127C
covering engine number / M AAA 260 001>>*

They changed the tensioner bolt mid 1997

You have part number 021109507A
chain tensioner covering engine number / M >> AAA 217 000
Or part number 021109507B
chain tensioner covering engine number/ M AAA 217 001>>

Wow. Cheers for that. So as long as I have the chain cover that matches the bolt I should be okay, I.E pre or post 97 part numbers? Unsure on part Humber for the new cover as it hasn't arrived yet. Will be clearer when it does

Done the engine loom today, went pretty easy, few near misses with the inlet manifold nuts but all went well. The only issue I have is that on the new loom, this 'block' wasn't there. It sits under the lower intake beside alternator. Any ideas? Also these two earth, what's the best place for them? And on the obd2 manifold the isv block thing isn't there, am I correct?

Cheers

DSC_0230_zpsdifi9gts.jpg

DSC_0229_zpsobo9qcsf.jpg

Thought it got ditched. On my new obd2 loom, there isn't an earth block. Just those two smaller earth that sit up near the throttle body.. Guessing this could be an issue? The block from the obd1 loom seems to be plugged direct into the twist multi plug

Sorry, misread your earlier post. I didn't have this earth block on obd1 or obd2. Maybe it's for dizzy only. Anyway, if it ain't there, you don't need it. I just had 2 earths at the back of the inlet manifold that feed into the loom.

Edited by science