Need some advice - might be about to buy my first vr6

I'm in need of some guidance. Should I take the plunge and pick up my first vr6?

Local garage offering 1994 vr golf vr6 automatic, alpine white, 41k miles for £3995. Full service history with 10 services every 4000 miles, all done by vw. It's exactly what I'm looking for BUT I have 2 concerns:

A petrolhead friend of mine has warned me of two things. Firstly, I've been told 1994 was a questionable year for engine reliability. Is this true or is this just scaremongering and hearsay? And secondly, according to this friend I'm looking at regular, highly expensive services and replacement parts due to this engine's supposedly questionable integrity. Again, any veracity in these claims??

Be nice, as can be seen, I'm a total noob.

Thanks in advance!

I've never heard anything about a 94 vr being any worse than any other year vr6. And as long as the car has been serviced regularly it should be fine especially with only 41k on it. I personally wouldn't be worried about it. And parts aren't expensive for these engines, well not in my opinion. I'm sure other people on here will agree with me

I paid £2400 for my 52.000mile green auto 10 years ago and sold it with 93.000 on it last year for £700. £4000 is very high for an old car, auto's will not be collectable but I had fun in mine they are juicier than manuals though

• 1 month later...

Take the plunge. Although, it is a bit pricy. My 96 MK3 is show quality, lives in a gargage, does not drive in the rain or wet and I value it only slightly more than the one you are looking at. Tough call but still think unthrashed low mileage is worth the plunge. Make em a cheaky offer.