Well I thought I'd ask my oc brethren if they've come across this fault at all.

As you probably know the nothelle golf is a bit poorly at the moment and that's the way I bought it. Initially I thought the car had a massive misfire but after starting it last night i noticed that yes, there is a misfire but it's not the major running fault. The biggest fault is the fact that the car runs very lumpy below 2500rpm and stinks of petrol via the exhaust. When idling it runs very off balance possibly only running on 4 cylinders.

There are no fault codes although it will be plugged into vcds tomorrow courtesy of oc member ssaunders.

Any thoughts people?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like their style! During the call they were interested in getting the car running as apposed to talking Monopoly money rebuilds! I was quoted £8k for nuclear blast proof rebuild by George Martin ra

New Pistons at circa £200 a set and labour the same! Just typical vr costs really! To be fair tim'll only replace what needs replacing. It was only rebuilt 30k miles ago.

The element of suprise...retro..oak....that's all I dare say

When I start it, I have to give it some gas and it runs like a bag of poo. I'll start fault finding tomorrow.

I know the car had 2 new Pistons and new rings, shells etc about 30k miles ago and I also know it's had an overheating issue, I don't know how bad. I do know it's had a kseal put in the header.

No mayo on oil cap

Sounds like it could be way over fueling? What do the plugs look like? Black sooty? Quick thing to try if not already done disconnect the maf and see if it improves... Faulty lambdas can cause fueling probs too.. Try disconnecting also it turn with the maf..I hate Kseal its horrible stuff. I'd be flushing that crap out once i got it running right... Keep us updated mate.

Absolutely, it will be having a flush once running right. I think I'll stick a water pump and new stat on too and possibly water temp sensor.

I'll be checking the plugs tomorrow and looking it over generally. I may change fuel filter too and see if that improves anything.

Update:

Car has thrown maf, low voltage code and abs codes only.

I changed the maf from the green goddess to the nothelle and that code has gone. It did improve the running but was still a bit lumpy. I cleaned the old maf and refitted it and the car although still a bit lumpy is an improvement from earlier in the week.

I also cleaned the TB whilst I was at it.

I know the car has a poor earth so I'll need to get that sorted sooner than later and I also noticed that there's plenty of water laying in the exhaust tips.

Next job is a sniff test as I suspect head gasket failure.

Other than that, i really like the car. I'll have to get a build thread going!

Thanks to Saunders for his time today!

Edited by Bealieboy
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...