Was fitting my new air filter when I stumbled across this.

Loads of gunk in the intake pipe which has come from the pcv valve if that's normal, then I found a mesh/spring in the breather pipe which connects to the pcv valve.

What's it for and is it needed and can the pcv be removed.

91966711-735A-4C69-8812-5CBCCCC3CEC6_zps

E23934CE-9B8D-4292-8D29-43AA7E4F20CE_zps

Pcv valve can be removed but it's advised to run your breather pipe to a catch can, or straight out to atmosphere with a piece of long pipe down to the chassis rail.

That mesh in the pcv valve is intended as a flame trap to stop any unwanted hot oil firing in the inlet tract. Personally I don't really think such a problem is too likely but that's what it's for. It also does a good job of stopping too much oil splatter into the inlet.

Mines long gone and at present I've got a piece of samco carrying the crankcase fumes down to the road but a catch tank or fresh clean pcv is by far the better idea.

No problems, it's only there to recirculate crank case pressure or blowby as the yanks call it. It's just what down draft the piston rings cause and any compression passing rings in a poor engine.

You may find you get oily wishbone because there will always be certain amounts of oil "spit" from the breathers.

Hence the oil in the ops inlet tract.

Catch cans are effectively a means of venting to atmosphere, depending how they're piped up. It just means the oil spit that passes through the breathers is collected instead of making a mess anywhere. Just need to empty them out on service.

Some people run a pipe from the rocker cover to a catch tank, then just stick one of those little mini k&n filters on the outlet, others run the outlet back to the inlet tract. The theory being, that the oil is collected in the tank, and only vapor is passed back to the throttle body.

Venting to atmosphere does ensure the inlet tract stays dry and oil free.

This isn't always possible with modern engines nowadays because the pcv valve is somehow vacuum controlled and monitored through the ecu. There is a lad I work with had one fail on a mk5 gti and it gave him an erratic idle.

Here's how mines routed for the time being, my engine bay is In a state of neglect at the minute so don't judge me lol...

087d6274fbd360326b9e3aafa6a904ba.jpg

48df036f14c69ef6d27c6b637c668928.jpg

I've got a catch can on mine with the same idea as J running a silicone pipe along the chassis leg with a mini K&N on the end to vent the fumes. I just hand the filter on the rocker but you could smell the oil inside the car when you were stood in traffic

Being quite honest I haven't got a clue what the plugs for but mines always run a treat without it, no faults etc. when my fuel pump works that is

Mine ran better last night, I was fitting my new air filter and unplugged it and it ran smooth as any thing, plug it back in then it runs lumpy?

Leave it out and vent the breathers in that case. New PCV stuff is crazy money for what it is hence why mines te way it is

I'll unplug it later, might remove it all next weekend as I want to remove the carbon canister as well, do you know where the clear pipe goes?