Mk2 vr6 coilovers or springs and shocks?

• 1 month later...

Just had a set of AP Coilovers fitted on my MK2.

Very pleased with them.

Can get them for under £400.

Made by KW however at that price they are not stainless construction like some kits twice the price, which doesn't matter if you keep them greased and/or don't use the car in Winter. Which I don't.

I'm on mk3 .....I had springs and shocks , it was a smooth ride and she sat lovely , and was pretty fluid over larger bumps , I would still have them on if I didn't just have to purchase coil overs (one shock leaked after being unable to avoid a rather large pothole disguised as a puddle at 15mph - prob could be refurbed but I don't have time for that) im now on ap coilovers paid £380/400 delivered and they pretty good smooth , tho a little atm stiff as they've only been on around 50 mile and new tyres , and top mounts all round , atm I still prefer my springs than coilies

How's the ride quality and height settings?

I was running (very tired) JOM coilovers before hand so the APs were a million times better, as you would expect.

To be fair I think they are pretty compliant although they are no doubt still a pretty stiff set up.

Ride height is ideal I reckon, but can go to around 80mm drop iirc.

It was lower before, and can go lower again on these, but at this height there are no rubbing issues and much less speed bump/sump contact. Which is what shagged my last engine! (cracked oil pick up from too much sump abuse)

Couple of pics here just after fitment although it has settled a little bit since.

Worth noting that the kit is for a MK3 VR6.

Venom, who supplied the kit, advised this was a better option as they would be better matched for the VR in the front.....makes sense.

DSCN0870_zps0e68a22b.jpg

DSCN0869_zpsbc214584.jpg

DSCN0867_zpsb0e92d23.jpg

DSCN0873_zps0faf81cd.jpg

This is how it sat on the JOMs.

Lower, but it drives MUCH better now, and it doesn't catch the sump on everything like it used too. Even fag papers were tight to get over....

That said, now mine has settled I might take it down a touch when it goes for wheel alignment in the next few weeks.

IMAG0674_zps5a555e82.jpg

This is the kit I used.

IMG-20150108-WA0000_zpsedb7cbca.jpg

You would have been welcome to try it out but its a fair old shank from Newcastle to Dundee!

Cheers

Paul

Edited by Paular

Cheers for the comments I just felt I need the height on the front of my mk2 and to get the height on coilovers your screwing the collar up compressing the spring even more making it such a harsh ride..maybe have to have a look at the ap coilovers and save some pennies up.

• 1 month later...

Ride quality was pretty decent, perhaps a little more forgiving than my spax coilies currently fitted as now I've got stupid wide rears, I've stiffened the coilies up so much it's flippin uncomfortable to drive on all but billiard table rd surfaces

Time to soften them up a bit I reckon!

I think you'll be happy with what you've bought.