4Motion - Great start to the new year

No running the car with fuse 31 out will not cause any problems. Except traction loss as expected and the annoying warning light on the dash.

My dads golf started doing this suddenly. Was fine one day, locking up the next... Strange yours was ok prior to the work being carried out? Could you have missed it? and this being the cause for the transfer box failure? Unusual for one of those to just fall to bits?

We get no fault codes on vag com, as far as all associated ecus are concerned there are no faults.. We have serviced the haldex diff, replaced the Haldex controller twice which are prone to failing. Still no good... and finally replaced the entire haldex rear diff unit.. this would solve 99% of cars however Still this car will not disengage all wheel drive. As soon as you start the car up it immediately engages all wheels and hops around like an excited bunny. I have for the moment run out of ideas. Possible wiring fault or abs or main ecu at fault.. Will no fault codes Its all guess work.

I hope you get yours sorted easily though.. Like I said most of the time the haldex controler that is bolted to the diff itself is at fault.. Bit if it was ok prior to the work carried out then poss something more simple?

Please keep us updated.

• 2 weeks later...

No running the car with fuse 31 out will not cause any problems. Except traction loss as expected and the annoying warning light on the dash.

My dads golf started doing this suddenly. Was fine one day, locking up the next... Strange yours was ok prior to the work being carried out? Could you have missed it? and this being the cause for the transfer box failure? Unusual for one of those to just fall to bits?

We get no fault codes on vag com, as far as all associated ecus are concerned there are no faults.. We have serviced the haldex diff, replaced the Haldex controller twice which are prone to failing. Still no good... and finally replaced the entire haldex rear diff unit.. this would solve 99% of cars however Still this car will not disengage all wheel drive. As soon as you start the car up it immediately engages all wheels and hops around like an excited bunny. I have for the moment run out of ideas. Possible wiring fault or abs or main ecu at fault.. Will no fault codes Its all guess work.

I hope you get yours sorted easily though.. Like I said most of the time the haldex controler that is bolted to the diff itself is at fault.. Bit if it was ok prior to the work carried out then poss something more simple?

Please keep us updated.

Thanks for the detailed reply, 

Been busy with work recently so been using the 4mo on FWD only to and from work and has been going well,

Faults are as follows;

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine       Labels: Redir Fail!
   Controller: 022 906 032 BG
   Component: MOTRONIC ME7.1.1    0004
   Coding: 0000132
   Shop #: WSC 31414
1 Fault Found:
17526 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating; B1 S2: Open Circuit
            P1118 - 004 - No Signal/Communication
Readiness: 0110 1101

Address 03: ABS Brakes       Labels: Redir Fail!
   Controller: 1C0 907 379 F
   Component: ESP ALLRAD MK60     0104
   Coding: 0023046
1 Fault Found:
01324 - Control Module for All Wheel Drive (J492)
            004 - No Signal/Communication
Address 19: CAN Gateway       Labels: 6N0-909-901-19.LBL
   Controller: 6N0 909 901 
   Component: Gateway K<->CAN    0001
   Coding: 00006
1 Fault Found:
01324 - Control Module for All Wheel Drive (J492)
            49-00 - No Communications

I believe the ABS one was present when running AWD, and since pulling fuse 31 CAN gateway has throw an fault.

The old transfer box was "blown to bits" according to the mechanic, and before the work even with fuse 31 in front wheels span up big time, but no rear end bounces???

Tried fuse back in today and its worse than ever, locking up nearly completely, knocks, bangs etc... needless to say the fuse was out again fairly quick..

Really am unsure what steps to take here but a haldex service seems logical.

Ben!

pulling the fuse out will throw that code up, however as you said the fault was their prior to pulling the fuse then it may be some help....

Basically that fault it saying there is no communication with the Haldex controller. By all means try a haldex service, worth a shot. but I would be surprised if it works. Seems like your fault it electrical. There are a few common things to check.

The connection at the plug that connects to the AWD controller is prone for water and dirt Ingress. Disconnect the pulg from controller and clean the connections on the plug and the pins on the controller with electrical cleaner, also carefully check for any corrosion in the pins / broken / burnt wires near the plug, basically anything that could give a bad connection to the controller, you will need the rear of the car on stands or a ramp to do this. The controller is bolted to the side of the diff, right hand side when looking at the rear of the car if I remember right. Once you have done that make sure the plug is firmly connected to controller, put fuse back in, clear all codes with vag com and see what happens.

If that fails and you get the same fault code flag up with with the fuse in then the next thing to try is a replacement controller.

http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/81282-haldex-earth-strap/ This may help

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/haldex-help.112546/ Pics of plug here

Edited by cactusjackslade
  • 3 weeks later...

With the failed transfer box you may have been getting front wheels spinning and no rear end locking / bouncing because no drive was being sent to the rear diff at all? Now that you have got drive down the prop to the rear wheels this haldex fault has shown?? Not sure?

Thats what it appears, prior to the work the traction light would flash on and off to indicate traction loss, but no power was being sent to the rears atall, the transfer box may have gone pop from all the locking happening at the rear!

Haldex oil and filter kit has arrived, this will be carried out this weekend hopefully, and a check on the haldex connector!

Will keep thread updated...

Cheers!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Have had the haldex oil and filter changed, plugged in #31 and sadly the same locking up and bouncing. Some serious creaking from the transfer box region :(

New controller is my next move, OR grab the controller of mums 4mo and give it a try  :huh:

Sorry for long delay!

Sorry to hear still no luck.. The oil n filter change was a long shot but worth a try.. No problem, let us know what happens after fitting a different controller.

Sorry to hear still no luck.. The oil n filter change was a long shot but worth a try.. No problem, let us know what happens after fitting a different controller.

It was indeed a long shot :( I was hoping it may be the miraculous fix!

Trying to get my head round what has been done so far. If it's binding/skipping when fuse 31 is plugged in its either controller or pre charge pump staying on.

As I say I don't know what's been tried as on my phone

Thats correct, I've had 31 out for a few months now, I managed to crawl under the car yesterday and checked the haldex plug for water or oil ingress and all seemed fine. No problems with 31 in and the haldex unplugged (does ESP run standalone when 31 is plugged in but Haldex is disconnected?) 

VCDS output tests on AWD module all seems good, precharge pump can be heard engaging and disengaging...

• 3 weeks later...