Coolant hoses

Go to solution Solved by dj-madman,

Guys and gals

An upgrade which I have been looking at for a while, which is going to happen soon now that the engine is in bits

But what make is the best for the coolant hoses? Is it really worth going down the silicon route?

Yes I would like to add a bit of colour under the bonnet but that's merely cosmetic, do silicon hoses offer more in the way of performance than standard stock hoses?

Sorry if this has been asked but I can't find anything using the search function on tapatalk lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi mate.

Usually people go for silicon for a number of reasons, some of which you have touched on already;

1) cosmetic - Yes they look fab under the bonnet, especially if you start detailing other areas / polishing up etc....

2) functional - For example, my Corrado hoses were 20 years old, I already had one oil cooler hose let go - so was only a matter of time in my opinion before other hoses let go, after all rubber degraded over a period of time and I had already replaced everything else in my coolant system so didn't want those to become a weak spot.

Golf silicon hoses are a lot cheaper than corrado ones!

I have had personal experience with Samco, but there are other manufacturers worth looking at, such as Roose motorsport and SFS which are of equal quality.

Places like Amber performance, and many other online automotive retailers can source these - Shop around though, prices do vary, for example VW Parts International on ebay are overly inflated prices compared to other companies!

Hope this helps :)

£40????

now in my understanding silicon is silicon. if these hoses are made of silicon which is the same as roose or any other manufacturers then why the huge markup?

£40 to £320??

obviously its natural for us to think more money means a better product and to steer clear from something that is so much of a drastic difference price wise.

does anyone have these running that can comment?

• 4 weeks later...