My 87' Golf 2 VR6 Build

​Hello guys I'm a new member to your forum.

In 2002 I bought my golf mk2 87' (2' hand 3 door) without any kind of knowledge or experience in engineering on this car .It was 1050cc ( lol ) original and the body was clean ,but the paint was horrible ( red-pink). However i changed bumpers ,i replaced the doors (90's) , tinted windows bucket seat(driver side) and so on....bla bla bla

Somewhere in between 2006-2007 the engine totally failed (327,000 km) so i had to change it and due to lack of money at that time ,i purchased a 1800 8v Carb -no injection (which I was very pleased with) . I started later on modifying the car just a little bit, (wheels ,performance, lowering the car etc) because I was planning to get it painted. Although I didn’t paint the engine bay but it came out really nice Red color and all the new trims ,spoilers etc. 

So overall ……. YES I started from scratch.

This is a photo of the car at the end of November 2013 .(and the engine –filthy )

IMG_0823.jpg

4387063_0_b.jpg

At the end of february 14' ,someone whispered to my ear that there was a V Engine available in someone's backyard and that he wanted to give it away (space issues) .However the engine was in a good working condition but it was covered with half inch of dust.  :shock: 

I said why not ( i was super excited at the time and i forgot to take a picture of the complete engine)

ta raaaaaa

IMG_0931.jpg

then i started to disassembly the engine

IMG_1021.jpgIMG_0932.jpg

started fixing the loom

IMG_1016.jpg

and while i was expecting some new parts to come in ,i decided to mess around a little bit  :)

IMG_1017.jpg

the parts came in 

IMG_1041.jpgIMG_1042.jpgIMG_1043.jpg

and head came back cleaned and skimmed ,checked valves ,springs etc...

IMG_1060-2.jpg

and bought new rings ..... for the pistons which i had send to be inspected,.........

IMG_1073.jpgand after i inspected carefully the block (crankshaft etc.) then i started to paint the block

IMG_1068.jpg  i let it dry like 24 hours and then i painted it with the color i wanted

IMG_1083.jpgi did the same thing to the head also

IMG_1087.jpgand this is how she came out  :D  :D

IMG_1085.jpghad the gasket in and ...........

IMG_1090.jpgafter checking or replacing the guides i proceeded with the covers

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

she looks nice  :D  :D  :D

IMG_1098.jpg

for now i'm done ,i'm gonna paint the trans and some other staff 

IMG_1183.jpg

:wub:

surgery time ,,,,,,,

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

And that 's me ,giving a hand

DSC_0039-1.jpg like an hour later ......bye bye icon_smile.gif (overall she was a good and reliable engine)

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

well at the same time i removed the dash 

DSC_0054.jpg

my mechanic removed the mk2 subframe and rack 

DSC_0073.jpgand replaced with mk3 

DSC_0076.jpgnew parts 

Epsiloniotakappa3CC0nualpha012.jpg

Epsiloniotakappa3CC0nualpha013.jpg

well i think the donor's suspenion was for a 4x4  truck   hahaha  , :blink:

Epsiloniotakappa3CC0nualpha015.jpg

anyways i wanted to clean the engine bay in order to have her in

0C81A7BF-5DFC-4C45-B349-4CFCEC266D89.jpgand painted (roughly but due to lack of time and space at the workshop)

011CE0C8-5380-4B45-A04D-D14E8394F675.jpg 

hello people some more pics ....

DSC_0034-1.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

fuel tank GIII

DSC_0005-2.jpg

lift it up for some assembing

DSC_0008.jpg

removed the old pump , fixing the t-axis and in general the check

DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

and the next day i had her ready for the final stage 

the rads

84494BB5-6C82-454D-AEDB-2CF68D7F4D93.jpg

:) :)

DSC_0019.jpg

and of course i wanted to check the connections , plugs etc. and placed the battery temp and switch on 

:D :D :D

DSC_0016.jpg

by the way does anyone knows if i can erase some mileage .............or   not??

anyways the next thing i did was the dash ..............it looks nice

DSC_0008-1.jpg

and here she is       ta      raaaaaaaaaaaaa 

of course not completely done  but    SHE  IS ALIVEEEEEEE    :D :D :D

AD2BF718-E5C8-40AD-9A39-1BA46A667D45_1.j

IMG_2030.jpg

well this is the last pic i got guys and this is how she looks now but due to lack of time ( job) i haven't finished it yet ,.............

Anyways well here is the deal ,

the last 2 weeks the car is out of the workshop the engine is working really great ,

but i there is a small issue.

1)     when the engine is cold  she will not start right away like 6 sec's cranking , off and then again 2 sec's cranking and she fires up .

Any ideas ??

2) she pulls really hard ( not full throttle but at least half) and when she gets warmed up like 85 -90 C  ( rads kick in ) ,by the time i push full throttle and after that i stop to a traffic light then at that moment she starts behaving weird - at that point  i have first gear and kick off from there she enmesh like over fueled ,mix-up ,or vacuum ,or i really don't know .

Any ideas guys ???

well i changed the maf sensor with 2 used but working ones and i still have the same issue. I mean i have changed almost everything on this engine and i don't know what it is . :angry:

to be honest i haven't changed the below items :huh:

crank sensor (it seemed ok)

dizzy (it was almost knew)

O2 sensor

Did you wire up the diagnostic port?

If so try getting vag-com or VCD's on it.

Run a fault code test and see if it return any codes.

Then try running the engine with vag-com connected and use the measuring blocks to check the sensor.

Any problem should show up in either of these,

Either a fault code, or dodgy readings on one of the sensors, from the measuring blocks.

be careful of old none cleared error codes. I usually clear the error codes, then run the engine until hot. Switch off engine, and re-check for error codes.

As any error that re-appears still remains , and is not an old code.

Edited by c00k
  • 1 year later...

well , i know it is a very long time since i've posted anything but .................whatever.

Anyhow , regarding the check up DTC's i had back then :

00537  :   Lambda (Oxygen Sensor) Regulation: Upper Limit  (Intermittent)

00533  :    Idle Speed Regulation: Adaptation Limit below limit  (Permanent)

00561  :   Mixture Adaptation: Adaptation Limit (Add) Exceeded   (Permanent)

00513 :    Engine Speed Sensor (G28): No Signal   (Permanent)

i had erased the codes back then but the issue of course remained.

the next step was to change some sensors -  air temperature sensor ( the one which goes on the manifold)

-  one of the knock sensors (the one which goes next to the oil cooler)

- TPS  

irrelative_    -   oil pressure sensor  all 3 of them

IMG_2459.jpg

and  GUESS WHAT ........................  nothing has changed .:(