Vr6 odb2 engine cranking but battling to start

HI

vento obd2 supercharged

Well after the month i am having with the vento she has thrown up another problem

She is cranking quite good but just does not want to turn over and takes a min or 2 to get going , i dont smell any extra fuel and the battery is good.

Could it be the crank sensor ? Fuel pressure regulator ? Fuel pump relay or the fuel pump?

The oil light flashes when you cranking

I dont seem to think its the fuel as she runs ok when running

Anyone else had this issue

thanks

ryan

Unplug an injector, put test light to the plug and wind it over. Test light should pulse.

Listen for fuel pump relay clicking when ignition is turned on and also for the pump priming under back seats. You can pul off the fuel supply pipe from the end of the rail and see if there's fuel there with ignition on, but be careful!! Use a beaker or pot to catch it and if the pump is working that line could be under pressure!!

You can lift tank cover and supply your own 12v feed to the pump from the boot light for process of elimination. Granted if it's a sensor you will need codes scanned but there's a ruck of basic automotive principles that can be checked old skool if your handy with the tools. Let me know if you need any help, I've been down this road a few times.

From memory I just can't remember and my cars at home under a cover or I'd have a look. Ill google it for you.

The last one I did had a really random relay pattern, in such that it double clicked. Clicked to activate pump and instantly clicked again. From there the 12v bypass to pump top confirmed a duffer, and £60 later it purred like a kitten. That had been stood idle for nearly 2 years which in my experience is fatal for some components.

I've seen it no end of times in work, pull a wagon from the nettles, spend a fortune on it for test, and 3 hours up the motorway the turbo spits itself. The office don't seen to realise that I simply haven't got the time or the manpower to be recovering things that should of stayed in the bloody nettles.

Rant over, see how you get on. Think basics before the computerised bits, fuel and spark etc.

Edited by Big J

Tell me about it, got my VR wanting attention, a defender in the process of a mechanical rebuild which is trying it's best to put my up from 20 a day to 40 but I won't let it, and a golf 6R that's getting upset with me for using it to work and back daily!

Power probes ideal for supplying bypass feeds as checking earths etc, saves a lot of hassle.

lol...its hard cause she has been no problems for 7 years even when charged and now in 1 month she wants non stop attention , lol thats what brings a smile to my face when i driver her , the whirring of the charger...

Id love a mad max soundtrack to bolt on mine after hearing d11ps car at gti fest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well relay is clicking away , did a few checks today and now she is even worse lol.looks like she is getting fuel as it sprayed out the FPR when I put it in wrong.lol....

but now she does not want to idle.....I tried the throttle body reset which didn't do anything.

think I am being daft cause I lifted up the rear seats and there was no fuel pump hatch....and I cant find any hatch in the boot either....

so I am thinking , coolant sensor? crank position sensor? or vac leak , I didn't hear any hissing noises

Hmmm looks like it could be a sensor, I haven't done much with obd2 but I know the earlier obd1 had an idle stabilisation valve on the throttle body.

So you must be getting a spark if it's idling then? Coolant sensors can cause a rich running but usually only noticeable once warmed up.

You wouldn't really notice a hiss with vacuum as such, but I would think you should hear something. I've got a feeling someone else on here has had an idling issue but I just can't remember the cause of it.

Is it any worse with maf unplugged?

I'd say maybe now you've checked the essentials a code scan would be my next step just to rule out and dodgy sensors, obviously I know it's difficult when you can't move it though.

Poor compression is a possibility but personally I don't very much that it's to blame. On a diesel then yes, step one is compression check, but on these AAA engines, I would expect it to start and run albeit on 5 cylinders, and just miss on one. It would also be breathing heavily and stinking of fuel.