corrado vr6 (vrt in progress)

I'm getting the 4" maf from stealth when it gets mapped, they said it would be ok to drive it to them off boost running the original maf and injectors them swap them over to get it mapped

Was planning on using a reducer to mate the original maf to the 4" turbo intake pipework then when get to stealth can fit the bigger maf and air filter, swapping the injectors will be straight forward as I'm using a short runner intake so they are easily accessible

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thanks for the comments and yes pete been meaning to do an update for a while but never ended up getting round to it due to one thing or another!    got the downpipe finished off over christmas and mo

right been a while but started doing stuff on this again basically came to a standstill due to doing things on the new house,doing some work on my mk2 now that i have a garage and also making the mist

Cheers chaps just moved in to a new house so things could get even slower as will be pretty busy with that but saying that new house has a garage and the girlfriend says she wants me to get the first

Posted Images

Got the box fitted on tues nite and the engine back on its mounts which seemed like a mini milestone after it being hanging on one mount and axle stands for so long

Then yesterday afternoon got most of the ancillaries back on shafts and suspension back on and spent yet more time fettling the injector rail so the injectors are seated properly don't know who designed the short runner but it is certainly not a direct fit once I'm happy with the injectors sitting properly I'm going to have to drill and tap some new holes for the throttle body as they don't line up either!

Will do, gonna be a while before I get it down there though

Popped up to the barn on sat afternoon with the intention of attaching the turbo to the exhaust manifold so I could start making the rest of the downpipe but it fouls on the hardlines going to the brake master cylinder this in itself wouldn't be too much of a problem as I know from others builds that you can relocate the reservoir/change the routing of the lines but due to how the exhaust manifold I have slopes down it looks like the turbo inlet is going to be exactly where the master cylinder is anyone any ideas what I could do to get round this I've looked at those willwood pedal boxes but there pretty darn expensive could I remove the standard servo master cylinder set up and use some kind of remote servo mounted elsewhere?

popped up to the car on friday removed the two brake hard lines and attached the turbo to the manifold as well as the tubo inlet facing directly towards the master cylnder the turbo also touches the servo!!

so question is if i do like gaz205t suggested and lets say make a 90' bend with two t3 turbo flanges to swing the turbo up out of the way will this really hamper the flow of the manifold and affect performance?

some pics of how it looks

IMG_0897_zpsbxgtmawe.jpg

IMG_0894_zpsymxydjlp.jpg

IMG_0895_zpsckmaispw.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

well after going on holiday and getting over being pissed off about the manifold i decided to have a go at making something up,what was the point in learning to weld and buying a welder if it wasnt to get out of situations like this

i bought some t3 flanges off ebay and some 3mm walled mild steel rectangular box section in the closest size to the port on the flanges and turbo, used my chop saw that i bought to do some flooring in the house to cut the angles as it has a multi purpose blade in it although dont think ill be doing any more flooring with it! ive flared the ends that meet the flanges so it matches the port shape then tigged it up

it lifts the turbo well out of the way and i will be able to run the original master cylinder and bottle setup here is a couple of pics try not to laugh i know its a bit agricultural but will hopefully solve the problem!

IMG_0994_zpsmcwl0fct.jpg

IMG_0993_zpsjd3etlge.jpg

question still is though will this really hamper the performance?  also does anyone know if mild steel is upto the job? 

also thinking im going to have to get it media blasted as dont want any nasty bits going into my nice turbo anyone know if vapour blasting is safe for turbo manifolds?

Edited by Neil20vtc

I'd say yes it will change the preformance, by how much I'm unsure.

Any extra pipe work cause more drag at the same air velocity. Plus It almost like a bottle neck, or reducer before the turbo.

But if it make it run, and is a vital part of the setup, I'd fit it and see how it runs.

I'd also say vapor blasting may be not aggressive enough to smooth out the metal on the inside.

Media blasting would be best bet. Or buy a cheap sand blast gun if you have a compressor and use cheap BnQ or wickes sand. And give it a good hot wash afterwards.

• 2 months later...

well not updated this for a bit! ended up media blasting the  adapter after i chopped  and re welded it to make it as small as possible and gave it a quick spray in hi temp paint to stop it going rusty like the exhaust mani has after me taking so long!

IMG_1064_zpszac2wxy8.jpg

so with that now fitted the turbo sits like this totally missing the servo and resevoir

IMG_1002_zpsprycrhjo.jpg

then in early oct the car moved to my house unfortunatly on a flatbed not under its own steam, this now means i can do bits on the car when i have a spare bit of time as simply wasnt worth driving upto the barn where it was to do an odd half hour so i have been on with making the downpipe,  i welded a v band onto the end of the cat then started making it up, once the car is running ill make the rest of the exhaust and v band the other end of the cat so it can easily be removed/replaced for mots

IMG_1037_zpslo9v1xwh.jpg

IMG_1038_zpsfh95kedm.jpg

tacked up

IMG_1061_zpsaws4dfor.jpg

welded please excuse the mess in my garage!

currently on with making up the wastegate pipework  but have also started sorting the oil/water feeds for the turbo and turbo inlet pipework bay currently looks like this

IMG_1066_zpsmayejkhd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

thanks for the comments and yes pete been meaning to do an update for a while but never ended up getting round to it due to one thing or another! 

got the downpipe finished off over christmas and modded the factory heatshield so it would fit with the turbo setup

IMG_1073_zpspiyk4vkv.jpg

IMG_1080_zpszecnnydl.jpg

IMG_1082_zpsc1eopequ.jpg

IMG_1084_zpsowjisaff.jpg

IMG_1085_zpsbfq7ng7p.jpg

since christmas ive managed to get a bit of time on an odd nite and weekends to chip away at bits,welded a an fitting to the sump for the turbo oil drain and also gave the sump a quick clean up and spray

IMG_1093_zpsthnkoffh.jpg

IMG_1094_zpsmyqzq8de.jpg

IMG_1100_zpsg6gmyjfb.jpg

also finished off the turbo oil feed line

IMG_1095_zps5rac4xfr.jpg

IMG_1097_zpsppyt9nfm.jpg

then recently i have been on with making an adaptater for the throttle body as i presume the inlet mani i bought second hand must be for obd2 so the mounting holes didnt line up but were also too close for me to just drill and tap some new ones in the mani also the adapter pushes the throttle body far enough away from the water housing so i can get the leads on the sensors!

its made from some really dense plastic that was found outside the unit next to us at work!

IMG_1102_zpssqwvplxe.jpg

IMG_1107_zpsgh4w1hnk.jpg

IMG_1108_zpssai7y3pd.jpg

IMG_1110_zps6bowiaxk.jpg

then fitted bought some cork gasket material and made a gasket to shape

IMG_1115_zpsnicepmtb.jpg

and thats about where i am at as been busy past couple of weekends getting my daily through its mot

• 1 month later...

so bit more progress fettled the injector rail so it would sit properly ended up having to chop the original mounting points off and make some brackets up no pics unfortunatly

then got some slimline fans to be mounted to the rad with some  fan brackets i bought from a gb on the corrado forum discovered that as my rad was non genuine it didnt have the tabs for the brackets to mount to so ended up welding my own on to make it work

IMG_1138_zpstbp6agvn.jpg
IMG_1140_zpsbssybfrm.jpg

next job was mounting the intercooler which is a custom made job that i bought used of a chap on the corrado forum

IMG_1194_zpsypqrrcnr.jpg
IMG_1195_zps0qy2rq1q.jpg

as you can see its a wraparound the rad type jobby only trouble is the corrado it came from was a 1.8t and must of had a smaller rad as there was no chance it would fit with my rad in its original location as there is no room either side for the ic pipework to fit so i have ended up moving the rad in which then resulted in the fans touching the inlet mani so yeah ended up having to chop the brackets id welded on the rad off and only now have the one bigger fan mounted with those pull through the rad fixings

its all a very tight fit but its now in

IMG_1194_zpsypqrrcnr.jpg
IMG_1195_zps0qy2rq1q.jpg

Cheers fella and slam panel now fits fine after having it on and off a billion times! not had to touch the support brace at all due to moving the rad back I did trim a small amount of metal near the bottom of the drivers side headlight and the small semi circle off the top of the slam which you can see so the boost pipe would fit 

also had to shave a bit of plastic from the drivers side headlight and modify the bonnet release catch on the pass side you can just see in one of the pics where I've cut it and tacked it to the slam to allow room for the cooler

got some more bends and joins on  order as well as a dump valve  hopefully shouldn't be so long until its first start in about 3 years! 

• 3 months later...

Been a while since an update been busy with prepping my 20v mk2 for sale  but that's now gone so can concentrate on finishing this I also now have the funds to do so 

had it started the other day which was a nice feeling after it being off the road for over 3 years plus with me never having done chains etc before it was good to know I'd done it right ( touch wood)

there is a slight blow coming from near the turbo I think I have narrowed it down to the blanking screws in the manifold for t3/t4 fitment letting some gasses past also it won't idle but I presume this is due to the isv not being plumbed in yet 

so yeah it's not so far off going for its mot I reckon just a bit of plumbing up left to do I'm waiting on some hose turning up that came wrong oh and a coilover Spring as one of the fronts has broke bit dissapointing for konis also the Ali collars seem to have fused to the stainless body's 

• 4 weeks later...

So I replaced the coilover springs made a bracket for the throttle cable IMG_1346.JPG.a8d7198f584433961c3016023dd

Made some inlet piping with plumbing for the recirc valve and isv IMG_1349.JPG.42e7d9b4109e293f63a88ef1d39

Welded the fittings for the afr and cars lambda probes IMG_1385.JPG.99ed6fad2c38028bd0834f633c6

Then after plumbing everything up I have had the thing running properly and moving under its own steam for the first time in about 3 years was nice to see it outside! IMG_1390.JPG.85c78d45db4194f3c44e9c8efe0

Unfortunately though just as I thought it was ready to go in for its mot the car started leaking oil which I thought was the sump gasket so replaced but still leaking so thought it must be the crank seal so off came the box clutch flywheel and associated bits crank seal was OK turned out to be leaking from the lower timing chain cover just below the headgasket so both covers are now off and I'm going to make extra sure both sealing faces are really clean before reassembly(although I thought I did this last time!)

So yeah it's currently sat in pieces waiting for me to put it back together but at least I found where the leak was coming from!