corrado vr6 (vrt in progress)

hi there im new on here my names neil i currently drive a mk2 20vt but also have a corrado vr6

well after using the corrado as my daily for the past few years its now in need of a bit of tlc so i have taken it off the road the plan is to treat it to nice new bolts and powdercoated goodies for underneath a fresh lick of paint and to stick a turbo on it!

i have decided to give turboing it a go myself and will be doing this first slowly taking my time then once its been running and im happy with it i plan on pulling the motor out getting the car sprayed and fitting the fresh running gear along with the engine after its been spruced up a bit

i went as far as booking myself in to do a evening course at college doing tig welding so i can make my own downpipe plus i just think it would be something good to be able to do, but the original nite was full and the extra one they were going to put on didnt get enough numbers so im going to have to wait until feb to get started on that

anyways i have been collecting a few turbo parts and also started stripping bits off the car ready  here are some pictures  

the powdercoated bits and oem bolts washers bushes bearings etc were the stuff that useoncedestroy was selling on the corrado forum  someone local to me had bought them and they came up on my local forum when he was selling his corrado

IMG_0043_zps4b1d17bc.jpg
IMG_0042_zps5a69d2ed.jpg

and some of how far i have got taking the car to bits
IMG_0093_zps20a421cc.jpg
IMG_0094_zps73c109af.jpg
IMG_0229_zps7e0da81b.jpg
IMG_0230_zpsdff6a22e.jpghopefully this will clean up and be ok powdercoated as i didnt get this in the bundle of stuff
IMG_0236_zpsd2122df0.jpg
 and thats about where im at, so not far! have also removed the downpipe which was a right pita as  could not get the cat off so took some time rithing around on the floor trying to manouvre it out!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thanks for the comments and yes pete been meaning to do an update for a while but never ended up getting round to it due to one thing or another!    got the downpipe finished off over christmas and mo

right been a while but started doing stuff on this again basically came to a standstill due to doing things on the new house,doing some work on my mk2 now that i have a garage and also making the mist

Cheers chaps just moved in to a new house so things could get even slower as will be pretty busy with that but saying that new house has a garage and the girlfriend says she wants me to get the first

Posted Images

Nice to see you have finally started it Neil, what turbo related bits have you bought so far?

yeah thought i better had and not got much bought a short runner, a head gasket (victor reinz one) walbro intank fuel pump and some bosch 440 green injectors all brand new second hand but ended up sending the injectors back as thanks to stealth for giving me a heads up i realised they were chinese copys!

pic with the short runner plonked on to see what it looked like

post-94016-0-06183800-1413126077_thumb.j

anyone suggest what thickness spacer i should be looking to get? also what turbo manifolds are people using im after one that means i wont have to move my brake fluid resevoir i know if you use a spa one this is the case but there almost 400 quid is there any others options out there?

• 1 month later...

not really done much on this got the box off which was a right mare by meself ill definatly be getting someone to help me put it back on! and all ready for stripping the head off but have been waiting the past few weeks for a load of parts to come from bar-tek in germany has anyone used them before? as im starting to get a bit worried, they say they are waiting for the manifold to arrive from the us before posting everything out to me

• 1 month later...

well the parts turned up from bar-tek about a day or two after my last post so shouldnt have been worrying they consisted of a peloquin lsd,turbo manifold,470cc incectors,sachs sinter clutch kit,and a oil cooler kit and some arp head studs

IMG_0358_zpse6df9cdd.jpg

so after that arrived i had intended to get a couple of days on the car in a row over christmas so i could replace the chains and tensioners and install the arp studs and whack the spacer plate and gasket on whilst it was fresh in my head how it all came apart but this wasnt to be as the head was a bit crusty around the water ports so thought it be best to get it skimmed

the machine shop gave me the head back and informed me that it needed new stem seals and the valves cleaning up and lapping in so thats what i have been upto this wekend cleaned the carbon off the valves with a wire wheel on a bench grinder at my freinds work he then kindly lent me the stem seal pliers and valve spring compressor to do the rest at home, new genuine stem seals are now in and valves are lapped in just need to refit all the springs etc

some progress pics

IMG_0491_zpsd3038ad8.jpg

IMG_0496_zps1f09137a.jpg

tensioner was about goosed!

IMG_0504_zps240fc134.jpg

state of the head you can see where it has gone crusty from the coolant

IMG_0520_zps16bd97c0.jpg

head studs in

IMG_0538_zpsf01b4a66.jpg

lapping the valves in

IMG_0540_zps5a19b11f.jpg

new stem seals going in

all of this is new to me by the way that i have never even removed a head from an engine before but im thouroughly enjoying doing it all and learning along the way

neil

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers chaps just moved in to a new house so things could get even slower as will be pretty busy with that but saying that new house has a garage and the girlfriend says she wants me to get the first stage of the car done so I can work on it at home incase something happens to me whilst up at the barn

And true to her word she let me go up to the barn for a day the wkd we moved in! Managed to get the head on and the new chains tensioners on hopefully it's all timed up right! Will stick some pics up soon

Also had my first tig welding lesson at college managed to do a good weld first ever attempt shocking the tutor then spent the rest of the lesson trying in vain to replicate it

Cheers chaps just moved in to a new house so things could get even slower as will be pretty busy with that but saying that new house has a garage and the girlfriend says she wants me to get the first stage of the car done so I can work on it at home incase something happens to me whilst up at the barn

And true to her word she let me go up to the barn for a day the wkd we moved in! Managed to get the head on and the new chains tensioners on hopefully it's all timed up right! Will stick some pics up soon

Also had my first tig welding lesson at college managed to do a good weld first ever attempt shocking the tutor then spent the rest of the lesson trying in vain to replicate it

Haha I know the feeling! Almost been in my house two years but there's constantly things needing done!! Plus having a six month old daughter doesn't help when trying to find time. I guess you just got to use what time you do have productively. Sounds like your a natural at the old tigging!!

• 5 months later...

right been a while but started doing stuff on this again basically came to a standstill due to doing things on the new house,doing some work on my mk2 now that i have a garage and also making the mistake of telling the local lad who has been checking my box over and fitting the diff that i wasnt in a hurry due to moving into said house gave it to him in feb got it back last weekend!

but now its back im cracking on with it and intend on the car coming to the new house in oct (when my rent on the barn where it is now runs out) whether that be by its own steam or on a flatbed!

i finished my tig welding course and bought myself a welder but due to not having the box ive only been able to weld up the first 90 degree bend

IMG_0841_zpsovm1wndy.jpg

i can continue with the rest once the box is back on and the engine is back on its mounts got a mate coming to help me fit the box tomorrow after work so hopefully things can start progressing again

i also made a start on fitting/refitting what i could to the engine before fitting the box, exhaust mani is on but due to its shape it needed some of the lower studs to be removed and chopped down also inlet is on but has required some fettling to fit, injector rail has also needed modding  and just some general bits refitted some of which took some head scratching as its about a year since i took it to bits!

IMG_0858_zpsraitsggd.jpg

IMG_0885_zpszhx3zzez.jpg

oh and also fitted the walbro intank pump

well the parts turned up from bar-tek about a day or two after my last post so shouldnt have been worrying they consisted of a peloquin lsd,turbo manifold,470cc incectors,sachs sinter clutch kit,and a oil cooler kit and some arp head studs

IMG_0358_zpse6df9cdd.jpg

so after that arrived i had intended to get a couple of days on the car in a row over christmas so i could replace the chains and tensioners and install the arp studs and whack the spacer plate and gasket on whilst it was fresh in my head how it all came apart but this wasnt to be as the head was a bit crusty around the water ports so thought it be best to get it skimmed

the machine shop gave me the head back and informed me that it needed new stem seals and the valves cleaning up and lapping in so thats what i have been upto this wekend cleaned the carbon off the valves with a wire wheel on a bench grinder at my freinds work he then kindly lent me the stem seal pliers and valve spring compressor to do the rest at home, new genuine stem seals are now in and valves are lapped in just need to refit all the springs etc

some progress pics

IMG_0491_zpsd3038ad8.jpg

IMG_0496_zps1f09137a.jpg

tensioner was about goosed!

IMG_0504_zps240fc134.jpg

state of the head you can see where it has gone crusty from the coolant

IMG_0520_zps16bd97c0.jpg

head studs in

IMG_0538_zpsf01b4a66.jpg

lapping the valves in

IMG_0540_zps5a19b11f.jpg

new stem seals going in

all of this is new to me by the way that i have never even removed a head from an engine before but im thouroughly enjoying doing it all and learning along the way

neil

i know exactly how you feel

right been a while but started doing stuff on this again basically came to a standstill due to doing things on the new house,doing some work on my mk2 now that i have a garage and also making the mistake of telling the local lad who has been checking my box over and fitting the diff that i wasnt in a hurry due to moving into said house gave it to him in feb got it back last weekend!

but now its back im cracking on with it and intend on the car coming to the new house in oct (when my rent on the barn where it is now runs out) whether that be by its own steam or on a flatbed!

i finished my tig welding course and bought myself a welder but due to not having the box ive only been able to weld up the first 90 degree bend

IMG_0841_zpsovm1wndy.jpg

i can continue with the rest once the box is back on and the engine is back on its mounts got a mate coming to help me fit the box tomorrow after work so hopefully things can start progressing again

i also made a start on fitting/refitting what i could to the engine before fitting the box, exhaust mani is on but due to its shape it needed some of the lower studs to be removed and chopped down also inlet is on but has required some fettling to fit, injector rail has also needed modding and just some general bits refitted some of which took some head scratching as its about a year since i took it to bits!

IMG_0858_zpsraitsggd.jpg

IMG_0885_zpszhx3zzez.jpg

oh and also fitted the walbro intank pump

Nice one lad, good to see some progress. Takes time when you have other commitments. What like was the pump to fit? What injectors you using?

Using Bosch blue 470cc injectors that I got from bar tek,the original ones are currently fitted as have to keep these in along with the original maf and drive it off boost until I get it down to stealth to be mapped

In tank pump wasn't too bad a job I followed the guide on here and looked at what others had done on there builds, I ended up using chemical metal to hold the new pump in the old ones place as it's slightly smaller, its not quite sat as low as I would like but will see how it goes, I think that if you buy the kit from stealth it comes with a spacer to help it sit lower I unfortunately don't have any pics of it fitted

Using Bosch blue 470cc injectors that I got from bar tek,the original ones are currently fitted as have to keep these in along with the original maf and drive it off boost until I get it down to stealth to be mapped

In tank pump wasn't too bad a job I followed the guide on here and looked at what others had done on there builds, I ended up using chemical metal to hold the new pump in the old ones place as it's slightly smaller, its not quite sat as low as I would like but will see how it goes, I think that if you buy the kit from stealth it comes with a spacer to help it sit lower I unfortunately don't have any pics of it fitted

Hi Neil I am around the same stage as this have you had any thought about a replacement MAF ?