cooling fans after ignition turned off

I have fitted a vr to my 8v. Now iv never owned a vr before. With my 8v when the engine was hot and fans kicked in they used to stay on. But with the vr as soon as i turn the ignition off they turn off but if i tur the ignition back on they start back up. The loom has 4 wires for the fans but i have a 3 pin fan so i have choped the main fat red/white (i think) and connected the other wires up. Can anyone shed any light. P.s i have a new nissens rad fitted with twin fans

• 3 weeks later...

I bridged the yellow plug sensor on the thermo and it made a click noise everytime i bridged the brown wire with the red/brown wire as said in the post below.

Fans/pump after-run fault-checking

You can use the following procedure to find out if your yellow temp sender is the cause of no after-run or not. This does not necessarily prove that the yellow temp sender is working, but it will prove if the circuitry that it controls is working or not.

Turn ignition key on, then off again

Disconnect the 4-pin connector from the yellow temperature sender switch

Bridge contacts B, D (brown/red and brown wire)

i have a feeling its because 1 of the 4 wires isnt connected to anything. Im thinking about bridging it with another wire (same colour)