Golf VR6 Mulberry Highline daily project!

These are some of the jobs that I have already carried out. I will make better effort to keep updated now I have finally got round to starting a thread :)

1st job was to replace the split oil breather valve, lucky my mate sorted & found me one for a good price.

Before...

e2egenaz.jpg

After...

u6ynaty6.jpg

The next job as always I give the car a good clean and going over. When I finished the outside I started under the bonnet as it looked as it haven't been done for a while.

y3anyty5.jpg

Sorry for the bad photo quality it was very sunny that day. I started taking the sound deadening off so I could clean off the stains and clean underneath.

This is before...

jasyza5e.jpg

And this is after...

atu9ataz.jpg

I used 'Auto glym interior shampoo' I know it's no exactly interior, but it did a good job and now looks almost new :)

ubu5uqa8.jpg

Then I started cleaning a polishing under the bonnet removing years of dirt and grease.

ugusunyq.jpg

Finished result before refitting the sound deadening...

6adutuvy.jpg

Then I refitted the sound deadening, it now looks a lot better and pleasing :)

3uqu4e9e.jpg

Then I spotted pine needles and leaves under the plastic scuttle panel. So these had to be removed before any drainage was blocked, didn't fancy leaks into the car.

unanugyp.jpg

pajeqesa.jpg

I will get round to changing the pollen filter, I just gave it a good shake and Hoover for now as I didn't have one at the time.

Finished results...

my3edyjy.jpg

jezavu2u.jpg

Another pleasing job done and adding to slowly making the car better :)

Then I moved into the interior and started on the leather, they are In brilliant condition so I would like to keep them that way.

I fed the seats fronts and backs of both front and rears, door cards and gear gator and handbrake gator with 'gilptone liquid leather' which I've heard is good stuff! I was happy with the results. It gave a nice non sticky shine once soaked in and so far has lasted well.

hu8avejy.jpg

7ynamety.jpg

aje8ebeh.jpg

I will keep on top of the interior as I want to keep it in the best condition I can.

All was going well, the next day I was driving home from work Friday evening and could smell coolant burning followed by the coolant light appearing on the dash!!! So pulled over and noticed a hose had split and was dripping onto the manifold!!! DOH!

Once home I contacted TPS and Eurocarparts and luckily euros could get one in for 1st thing in the morning, non genuine unfortunately but almost half the price TPS quoted for a genuine one that they couldn't get until Tuesday and It needed to be done so I went for that option.

Before...

udy4ety9.jpg

I gave the cooling system a good flush through before fitting the new hose...

New hose fitted...

e7yga5e9.jpg

Then new coolant was added and it was back on the road.

Then I noticed driving the next day the exhaust was blowing slightly, so with further inspection I've found the back box had gone slightly... Future job to be done. Still deciding on what will be best for replacement. Im thinking stainless cat-back Milltek system at the moment...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/02/5u7evy3u.jpg

Also on Inspection of the exhaust some annoying rust was found!!! I already knew this was there when I bought the car. Didn't realise after removing the grommet & some of the floor pan with it that it was this bad...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/02/gegapazu.jpg

This is on the rear near side floor pan foot well.

So next job is for interior to be stripped out and full inspection to underside of the car, I have a feeling some welding and plating is going to be needing doing very soon!

So that's my progress so far :) hope you've enjoyed the read and I will know keep updated on the future progress.

Thanks,

Chris :)

Edited by Cdgilmour

Looking good mate.

Doing a good job so far :)

You could re-dye the leather if you wanted it totally mint.

Wouldn't be to hard as it's all one colour.

Dynamix dyes sell a lot of colour matched kits for VW's.

I'd recommend taking the oil cooler coolant pipes off and giving them a good clean inside. As the location of them means they build up a lot of crap inside of them.

Keep up the good work dude.

Thank you, enjoying it so far!

That could be a future option, I'm happy with there condition at the moment being original, but thanks I will look Into it out of interest :)

Okay I will look into that, looking into eventually changing the lot for silicone hoses... But I've heard this puts stress on the heater matrix and causes all sorts of problems. Seems a lot more of a cheaper option and will also brighten up the bay.

Thanks and will do :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick little evening job!

Thought I would replace the petrol filler cap as it looked a bit tatty, so ordered one up on the Bay.

I thought I would give it all a clean up 1st and I'm glad it did. I removed the rubber seal to find a nest of mud behind (that would explain the slight corrosion under the neck) so I gave it all a good clean up, washed the rubber seal, and now it looks much better and pleasing!!! :)

Before....

enejyqas.jpg

And behind before....

qy9esery.jpg

And refitted with new cap!

ra4e4ega.jpg

Another small pleasing job to making the car better!

Edited by Cdgilmour
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Small evening update!

Couple of bits done tonight bought of the bay, new floor mats are in to protect the original carpet.

saha9era.jpg

And fitted my new bonnet struts that arrived today. Look much better than the rusty bonnet stay.

Before...

6epe6u9a.jpg

After...

za7yhu9u.jpg

Plans for a new exhaust to be finally fitted this weekend too! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking fab mate..

Best colour!! ;)

That Cliptone Leather Polish is the absolute daddy of them all.

Brings the seats out the best..

Car looks real familiar to me.....

Cheers

Yes it's a really good product!

I'm about to do them again this weekend, the cars due a good clean up!

Oh really... Seen it before?