Vr6 cranks doesn't start, oil light flashing

The car starts 9 times out of 10, the 1 time it doesn't, the engine cranks as it should but doesn't fire up. The oil light flashes (but read this could be anything as it flashes when the oil pressure is below 10psi!?) I'm guessing there's fuel and spark as it starts sometimes? Unless it's a faulty connection, I've never had a chance to look at a faulty spark or fuel as it starts when I want to check!

It only ever seems to do it when I've driven for a short period 4 miles or less, stop engine off and if I return to the car within about half an hour it doesn't start! If I come back to it after a few hours it starts!

Any help would be great thanks

The engine speed sensor will always come up. It's a quirck of the ecu. If you scan it with the engine off, it will throw a fault code to say the engine speed sensor isn't registering any engine speed. It won't be because the engine is turned off. It will self clear when the engine next starts.

You only have problems if you have an engine speed sensor fault with the engine running. More often than not a crank sensor won't flag a code if it's a intermittent fault that switches the engine off.

• 4 weeks later...