vr6 intermediate timing sprocket HELP

long story short, the bottom timing chain snapped on my engine so I am rebuilding it. I am at a stage where I want to fit the new chains. 

However unlike in all the guides when people remove the intermediate shaft bolt by locking the flywheel with the existing chain attached I don't have this option. 

Any ideas how to lock the sprocket in place so I can undo it - It's rated at 100NM so it's going to be on tight!!?

So far I tried wrapping the old top chain around and locking the cams but without the top tensioner system in place the chain is too slack.

only other ideas I have at the moment are trying to find my bike chain whip tool and borrowing a mates 24v impact gun an seeing if that works.

Cheers
Dave

Try this, put the old top chain on the bottom and intermediate, take all of the slack out in the direction you are spannering, so the bottom side, lock the crank in place using a spanner and one of the flywheel bolts you used and the gearbox bolts

Think i put two opposing bolts in the crank and used some 1inch box section pointing to the ground at an angle so when it tightened it it couldnt move due to the bar trying to turn into the ground,engine was on a engine stand at the time.

Just wrap the old snapped timing chain round the crank and intermediate sprockets and join the ends together with a cable tie. Then put a socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt and crack it off that way. The cable tie is just to hold the chain together in place all the force is on the solid lenght of chain and sprocket teeth so it should work that way mate. At least thats what I would do.

VR6 Loonibuggy Santa Pod 2014 !

Yes I know, as long as the bottom section is taut it should still work, I said try it with the top chain on it, the spanner just wants to be on the right had side on the crank instead of the left for the direction to undo.

Edited by Lukey.