Exhaust choices

So I'm after an exhaust system, stainless steel. I had a jetex on my 16v which I thought was brilliant, it was the non resonated stainless steel cat back system. Looking at about £300 with the paid member discount, so does anyone have any other exhaust suggestions for round about that price? Other than the crap reducer pipe jetex provide I couldn't fault their system.

I'm pleasantly surprised by my magnex cat back. Nice little bit of growl but still able to have a convo without shouting. I think it's freed up the engine over standard exhaust too. Im sure milltek is probably still the favourite if budget allows though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milltek is quite dear, approx £400 off the top of my head, magnex £350 ish? I bought mine used off eBay for £100 and I can't fault it, it fits like a glove and it's the same exhaust for gti 8v, 16v and vr6. Keep your eyes peeled on eBay, I know there's a Sebring a scorpion and 1 or 2 other makes.

My milltek was £400 delivered, looking forward to putting my decat on with it as have only ran it with the cat. Ive also ran janspeed with a decat which was nice but prefer the tone of the milltek. Also had a scorpion back box which sounded great so would expect the cat back to be just as good. Aren't Jetex 2.5"?

I've got a custom magnaflow with a cat at the minute and is noisy when it's hot and under load on the motorway but it's fine round the doors. Waiting to put a decat on and see what it's like with that. I've heard it'll not be so boomy under load on a run, fingers crossed lol

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

With a decat my abf was throatier and backfired more often, performance wise, I can't say I noticed a big difference. Surreyvr6, where did you get your milltek for £400 delivered from?

I noticed this on my old janspeed exhaust, loved the throaty sound and pops lol, was a bit of a kid and used to like making it backfire when coming to a stop, kept finding myself doing it after I put the cat back on out of habit with disappointing results lol. And I got it from junction26m1 but I've just looked and there now selling it at £452 delivered, cheapest on the bay I can see is £429 delivered

Edited by Surreyvr6
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the dimensions of a milltek or jetex backbox for the golf vr6? I want to build my own system but unsure of box size.

I had a magna flow exhaust done on my MK4 and I loved it it had the deep tone but was quiet enough when it had to be. I've got a jetex non res and I've got to say I think it's abit quiet.. Not sayin I want it to soud like a scooby or a 'rice box' but would like it to have a slightly deeper rumble

• 1 month later...

Looking to upgrade. Budget means Jetex system but not sure what will look better; twin or oval? Anyone got pics of their Jetex system? Pics would be much appreciated :)

Also, does the resonator really make much of difference with the sound? I've read that with the resonator it almost sounds like stock, not wanting that but not wanting it to deafen people in town.

Lukey, how is yours on the motorway? Can you have a conversation without shouting? What about if you are going more than 70mph?

I've got a resonated jettex on mine and it's really quiet on the motorway. I prefer the sound I my mates non resonated jettex but the resonators makes me seem a little but more grown up. I'd go down the twin route allll day long still need to finish polishing the tips.

Edited by D11PS

Looking to upgrade. Budget means Jetex system but not sure what will look better; twin or oval? Anyone got pics of their Jetex system? Pics would be much appreciated :)

Also, does the resonator really make much of difference with the sound? I've read that with the resonator it almost sounds like stock, not wanting that but not wanting it to deafen people in town.

Lukey, how is yours on the motorway? Can you have a conversation without shouting? What about if you are going more than 70mph?

I totally got a cheeky deal on my jetex, the site has been taken down now but i think it was a redundant old site of TSR performance, I got the cat back non res system

for £300, cheapest now is about £360.

The loudness all depends on how you drive, even at full floor its nowhere near that loud either, at idle and going about slowly its near inaudible, literally. I just went on a 50 mile motorway run this week and the tyre noise was all i heard, no exhaust.

Theres pics of my system, in the box and installed and also a vid of what mine sounds like on page 15 and 16

http://www.vr6oc.com/forum/topic/27853-my-vr6-strip-down-and-surgeryrebuild-ongoing-project-black-headliner-now-in/page-15

I totally got a cheeky deal on my jetex, the site has been taken down now but i think it was a redundant old site of TSR performance, I got the cat back non res system

for £300, cheapest now is about £360.

The loudness all depends on how you drive, even at full floor its nowhere near that loud either, at idle and going about slowly its near inaudible, literally. I just went on a 50 mile motorway run this week and the tyre noise was all i heard, no exhaust.

Theres pics of my system, in the box and installed and also a vid of what mine sounds like on page 15 and 16

http://www.vr6oc.com/forum/topic/27853-my-vr6-strip-down-and-surgeryrebuild-ongoing-project-black-headliner-now-in/page-15

Checked it out and it looks good and sounds great. I'm still sceptical about res or non-res though. I live in a small town and everyone knows everyone. Don't want to be THAT guy.

I've got a resonated jettex on mine and it's really quiet on the motorway. I prefer the sound I my mates non resonated jettex but the resonators makes me seem a little but more grown up. I'd go down the twin route allll day long still need to finish polishing the tips.

What about when you put your foot down? How is it then? A better roar than the stock I assume but not head turning? I agree with your point about seeming a little more grown up :P Haha.

Yeah course bud il take a few fresh pics for you in the morning. At the end of the day it's a VR and we all bought one for one main reason and that's the sound of it. When i put my foot down it sounds really good you get the roar of the VR without being too loud meaning that you can still have a civilised conversation with the passengers, I've had loads of different brands But I can honestly say that I'm really pleased with the sound and performance gains which I've had the the jettex. I'm sure you know that the jettex is a 2.75" in pipe diameter which I found works perfectly with my Charger as it breathes better but I know some people may argue that you get better torque figures with a 2.5" system but each to their own, I'm not out there to knock other brands I can only go on my own experiences. So far I can't complain, I would like to try a milltek system but I can justify paying their price tag when I'm completely satisfied with my current setup.

Yeah course bud il take a few fresh pics for you in the morning. At the end of the day it's a VR and we all bought one for one main reason and that's the sound of it. When i put my foot down it sounds really good you get the roar of the VR without being too loud meaning that you can still have a civilised conversation with the passengers, I've had loads of different brands But I can honestly say that I'm really pleased with the sound and performance gains which I've had the the jettex. I'm sure you know that the jettex is a 2.75" in pipe diameter which I found works perfectly with my Charger as it breathes better but I know some people may argue that you get better torque figures with a 2.5" system but each to their own, I'm not out there to knock other brands I can only go on my own experiences. So far I can't complain, I would like to try a milltek system but I can justify paying their price tag when I'm completely satisfied with my current setup.

Thanks man. I know next to nothing about exhausts hence the questions! Been reading a lot on the forums to make a decision. This is my first good car and I'm new to the VR craze. With your answer, I think I will go with the resonated one. Will have a look at your back end tomorrow so I can choose what style. Thanks again man :)