VR6 No cranks. Starter?

Go to solution Solved by Nex,

Hi all,

Got myself a Mk3 VR6 recently and a couple of time its not started. No struggling, low battery etc, just literally nothing, turn the key, no click, no starter. Re-try a couple of time and its has worked up until now.

Got out of work yesterday and would not start, no noise, no action when turning the key. Got a mate to give me a push and it bump started ok, drove it home and started to diagnose.

Started checking things and basically followed this procedure:

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/campingart/jettatech/nocrankdiag/index.htm

12.8V @ Battery terminals
12.8V between battery -ve and positive cable/terminal on starter motor.
12.8V at trigger wire, when disconnected, positive probe shoved in to plug and negative on engine block and cycling ignition to start.

To me the fact that it runs when bumped, has 12v at trigger and permanent live on starter, tells me there is nothing else it can be than starter motor itself? Surely if it was immobiliser it would die after couple of second of running, and if it was ignition switch then cycling the ignition would not show 12v @ trigger wire?

What are your thoughts?

It could still be the ignition switch buddy, I know someone that had the same kinda problem and it turned out to be this.

If you have no luck with anything else it might be worth changing it as it is only a few quid and pretty easy to change.

Na not hard buddy, remove column surround, unbolt joint on the column at the bottom by peddles, unplug the wires, unscrew the screws holding in the switch in, replace and put everything back. can be done in like 30 mins.  

Yeah l can see why you would, but as we have all found out at some stage these things are never as simple as they should be lol :P

Dont get me worng it may not turn out to be this (however it was in my mates case), but it would be a good shot to start with :)

Hi guys,

Ive got a similar problem with my vr6 its on a n reg and I've tried a couple of times starting it but it doesn't so I've charged up the battery but no luck also it doesn't even crank no noise nothing at all lights electrics work fine any ideas on what it could be ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Solution

Ok this is a good easy to follow DIY guide  http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/VW/MKIII/VWVortex.com_VW_MKIII_Ignition_Replacement_DIY.pdf

I dont have one to check, but l think the correct part number is 6N0905865 and this is what you are looking for (always shop around for price at to check fitment for your car) http://www.volksbits.co.uk/servlet/the-17032/Ignition-starter-Switch-BLACK/Detail

no you wont need to do anything for the keys, because you are just changing the switch and not the whole barrel your current keys will still be used and work.

Edited by Nex