Help!...no drive to wheels!

So driving home about 30 mins ago, there was a clonking sound from front left of car (felt like the suspension), then I lost drive to wheels, engine is running fine and smooth, whilst engin running gear shifter can move in and out of gears (no clutch needed)...

So I have ruled out clutch as I feel I wouldnt be able to get into gear, so then I though maybe drive shaft or gearbox?

Any help advice appreciated please

thanks

You can put it in gear with the engine running, without using your clutch & there's no drive at all??

Sounds like the gearbox has lunched itself, if it was a drive shaft it wouldn't go into gear without the clutch being pressed.... And if it was the clutch it wouldn't go into gear at all.

Just a thought, but your selector hasn’t come loose or busted?

It would explain why you can shift gear with the engine running (as it wouldn’t actually be shifting gears) and if it kicked the box in to neutral when it happen it would also explain why you have no drive.

I know it is a long shot, but might be worth checking before you spend on a new box ;)

Ok...a bit more info..the passenger side driveshaft is rotating, drivers side isnt???

So spin the wheels and the driveshaft rotates, select gear and try to pull off and drivers driveshaft turns but doesnt turn the wheel..

The driveshaft is making a terrible clonking noise.

Seems like this is a broken driveshaft?

:) thanks

Edited by Jamsplodge